English Wikipedia anti-SOPA blackout [telecom]

From Wikipedia:

| To: English Wikipedia Readers and Community | From: Sue Gardner, Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director | Date: January 16, 2011 | | Today, the Wikipedia community announced its decision to black out | the English-language Wikipedia for 24 hours, worldwide, beginning at | 05:00 UTC on Wed, January 18. The blackout is a protest against | proposed legislation in the United States -- the Stop Online Piracy | Act (SOPA) in the US House of Representatives, and the PROTECTIP Act | (PIPA) in the U.S. Senate -- that, if passed, would seriously damage | the free and open Internet, including Wikipedia. This will be the | first time the English Wikipedia has ever staged a public protest of | this nature, and it's a decision that wasn't lightly made.

Continued at

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

The Wikipedia blackout with start at Midnight Wednesday, in the Eastern Time Zone of the United States.

I understand why Wikipedia is taking this step: SOPA is a bad bill, and is being backed by very rich people who want to stifle creativity at the same time they arrogate the ability to censor dissent.

I support Wikipedia's decision to oppose SOPA. I hope you will, too.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

I was hoping that they - and many others - would consider implementing a permanent block of access from IP addresses assigned to Congress. Yes, I know that's not a simple as it sounds, but even an imperfect implementation would force many on Capitol Hill to use circumvention techniques in order to access some of the internet's content.

***** Moderator's Note *****

That's a great idea. I'd expand it to have Google delete all search results that point to the Congress, or (better yet) redirect them to public-interest sites that expose some massive pork barrel in the relevant district.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Geoffrey Welsh

I don't think we want to advocate censorship based on source because, no matter how gratifying such quid pro quo might be, it's just as wrong as SOPA and there is no need or, IMO, justification to inconvenience the American public who may need information published on those sites and have done nothing wrong to deserve interference.

[I will understand completely if you do not feel that this is sufficiently telecom-related to be published but I felt that the comment should be made.] ***** Moderator's Note *****

It's telecom related, because it touches on a profoundly important issue, which is the way the U.S. Congress is threatening to hand over censorship authority to private parties. By that logic, AT&T and Verizon and Centurylink might be allowed to censor phone calls that touch on "dangerous" issues or contain unpopular words, or just because they can.

All kidding aside, I am reminded of a warning that a very wise friend once gave me: "Nothing that you see on TV or read in the paper is ever what really happened." SOPA isn't about "Copyright protection": that's just the public face of a more scary reality.

As I wrote in my blog

formatting link
I think SOPA is really a calling card, one that serves notice on the Internet's ruling class that the old-world Brahmins expect them to pay for front row seats at the Congressional Opera, and chip in to keep our favorite legislators well equipped with straw hats and stump speeches. In other words, SOPA is an extortion note, which says "That's a nice Internet you have there - be a shame if anything happened to it"!

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Geoffrey Welsh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.