We need to talk about piracy... [telecom]

This is a couple of days old, but it's a more nuanced explanation of the issues surrounding SOPA and PIPA, including links to other well-thought-out pieces on the subject by other authors.

by Danah Boyd, Apophenia January 17, 2012

We need to talk about piracy (but we must stop SOPA first)

Much to my happiness, the internets (sic) are in a frenzy about the "Stop Online Piracy Act" (aka SOPA). Congress is currently in recess, but the House announced a hearing on the potential impact to the Domain Name Service on January 18 and everyone expects the Senate to begin discussing a similar bill "PROTECT IP Act" when they return to DC on January 24. There's a lot to these bills - and the surrounding furor - and I'm not going to go into it, but I recommend reading the actual bill

formatting link
and Open Congress info, the Wikipedia article
formatting link
EFF's blog
formatting link
and the various links at Stop American Censorship
formatting link
Tomorrow - January 18th - a bunch of geeks are planning a SOPA Blackout Day to voice their discontent.

I abhor SOPA for the same reasons as other geeks. I'm horrified that Congress has crafted a law that will screw with the architecture of the internet in ways that will undermine free speech. I love Josh Kopstein's post "Dear Congress, It's No Longer OK To Not Know How The Internet Works

formatting link
" And I'm glad that geeks are getting vocal, even if - as Clay Johnson has pointed out - geeks don't quite get how Congress works
formatting link
I'm stoked that the White House has asked
formatting link
for a civil conversation around piracy (while also opposing SOPA's key pieces). And I find it utterly hysterical that Rupert Murdoch has come to geeks' turf (Twitter -
formatting link
to convey his pro-SOPA opinions, even as Obama steps in to state that he opposes SOPA.

Rest at:

formatting link
Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

That's the tip of a world-wide iceberg. The European component is called ACTA. What exactly is ACTA, you ask? In a nutshell, ACTA is Europe's SOPA / PIPA.

Several days ago I had submitted a truly dreadfully rendered (hence rejected here) GoogleTranslate of a recent Polish piece describing the protests taking place on the streets of major cities across Poland against ACTA. I had even chosen as Subject: "Polish websites to go dark to protest ACTA" and offered the page

or rather, Google's inept translation thereof, as my only reference.

But what is ACTA really? And why protest it? For basics, cf.

A year or so ago, ACTA seemed dead in the water. Now, however, see

More links:

and, by Marietje Schaake (MEP),

Learn much more by searching with search-strings like [ acta vote 2012 ], [ ACTA vote Europe ], [ACTA vote european parliament ], and the like.

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.