new to automation/x10

Hey all, I am new to Home Automation/x10 and wanted to know where to start? I was on the x10.com website and they have some great bundles, but is there more to it than just replacing light switches, installing a control panel and hooking everything up to be controlled by my computer? Basically, here's what I want to do. I want to be able to automate across the internet my lights, some appliances, watch my cameras from in home/remotely, (I was looking at the floodlight cam for my back yard, and 3 xcam2's (car port, front door, back door), motion detection through out my house and yard. (I have a nice house in a bad neighborhood). So, since this seems to be rather inexpensive (relatively), is this the way I want to go?

Thanks! Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Wilkins
Loading thread data ...

X-10 cameras aren't your best choice. Their resolution sucks. I figure you're just aiming to throw your money away if you're leaning towards the "cheap" or "inexpensive" side for that. For cameras you can view in your regular browser, have a look at

formatting link
They offer a wide range of "mid-priced" solutions that should "fit the bill". There are tons of links to other web enabled surveillance cameras.
formatting link
is pretty popular. And they have even (on occasion) had better pricing on X-10 than say "X-10"... :-)

As for controlling your lights, etc., X-10 still remains one of the more popular automation solutions with lots of gear and support out there.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Tech-Home

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.