home security camera - any good?

Hi,

I want an entry way (front door) security camera for my home. The following seems to have everything i want in a camera. You can click on the specs, features, what's included links and so forth for a ggod picture of what it is.

But it's very inexpensive. There's nothing wrong with that! But I just wonder if it's a good deal or is it a crap or a camera.

formatting link
?O=12561&A=details&Q=&sku=412661&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation Thanks,

Sammy

Reply to
sammy
Loading thread data ...

First, you have to know that the cameras that most professional use ..... bare minimum .... start at about the $200.00 level. In my opinion, the above camera doesn't tell you what lens it has, 24 LED's is NOT going to get you 45 feet of night viewing, the .8 lux is not great and you need more than 420 lines if you want to see anything clearly. But, on the other hand it's probably worth $59.00.

Reply to
Jim

formatting link
?O=12561&A=details&Q=&sku=412661&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation>

It might be a good camera, but I'd sure look elsewhere to buy it.

Reply to
David

jim,

this will be right outside my front door used only to see who is outside it. there is a fairly bright porch light so i'm not even sure the LED's would come into play. it would be mounted right over the front door pointing downward. it would be used to see people about 4 or 5 feet away.

does this describe the lens - "1/4" Black & White CCD" ?

sammi

Reply to
sammy

I found the specs on the camera. They mean nothing to me of course. I'm hoping someone with knowledge of cameras like this can tell me if it will be adequate as a front entry (front door) camera.

CV32 Camera Type Professional Image Sensor 1/3" CCD Sharp B/W Resolution 420 TV Lines Outdoor Use Yes IP Rating IP65 Focal Length 3.6mm Focus Type Fixed Night Vision Yes Number of IR LEDs and Range 24, up to 45ft IR LED Control Automatic, CDS Sensor Min. Illumination 0 lux IR Wavelength 850nm Video Output RCA TV System NTSC Microphone No Motion Detection No Viewing Angle 70 Degrees Electronic Shutter 1/50(1/60) ~ 1/100,000 sec BLC No AGC Auto ELC Auto Line Lock Auto Iris Control No Gamma Correction >0.45 White Balance Auto Sun Shield Yes IR Cut Filter No Housing Material Aluminum Housing Color Platinum Silver Signal/Noise Ratio >48dB Lens Mount type M12 Camera Bracket Yes Pan/Tilt/Zoom No Pan Travel N/A Pan Speed Manual N/A Pan Speed Preset N/A Tilt Speed N/A Operating Temperature -14°F ~ 122°F Operating Humidity 0.95 Camera Power Input DC 12V 400mA Power Adapter Input AC 120V 60Hz LED Power Indicator Yes Dimensions 8.7" x 3.35" x 3.35" Weight 2lbs

Thanks,

Sammy

Reply to
sammy

No; that describes the chip...1/4" Charge Coupled Device....black & white?

| >> I want an entry way (front door) security camera for my home. The | >> following | >> seems to have everything i want in a camera. You can click on the specs, | >> features, what's included links and so forth for a ggod picture of what | >> it | >> is. | >>

| >> But it's very inexpensive. There's nothing wrong with that! But I just | >> wonder if it's a good deal or is it a crap or a camera. | >>

| >>

formatting link
| >>

| >> Thanks, | >>

| >> Sammy | >

| > First, you have to know that the cameras that most professional | > use ..... bare minimum .... start at about the $200.00 level. In my | > opinion, the above camera doesn't tell you what lens it has, 24 LED's | > is NOT going to get you 45 feet of night viewing, the .8 lux is not | > great and you need more than 420 lines if you want to see anything | > clearly. But, on the other hand it's probably worth $59.00. | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

hi crash,

what do you think of the specs?

CV32 Camera Type Professional Image Sensor 1/3" CCD Sharp B/W Resolution 420 TV Lines Outdoor Use Yes IP Rating IP65 Focal Length 3.6mm Focus Type Fixed Night Vision Yes Number of IR LEDs and Range 24, up to 45ft IR LED Control Automatic, CDS Sensor Min. Illumination 0 lux IR Wavelength 850nm Video Output RCA TV System NTSC Microphone No Motion Detection No Viewing Angle 70 Degrees Electronic Shutter 1/50(1/60) ~ 1/100,000 sec BLC No AGC Auto ELC Auto Line Lock Auto Iris Control No Gamma Correction >0.45 White Balance Auto Sun Shield Yes IR Cut Filter No Housing Material Aluminum Housing Color Platinum Silver Signal/Noise Ratio >48dB Lens Mount type M12 Camera Bracket Yes Pan/Tilt/Zoom No Pan Travel N/A Pan Speed Manual N/A Pan Speed Preset N/A Tilt Speed N/A Operating Temperature -14°F ~ 122°F Operating Humidity 0.95 Camera Power Input DC 12V 400mA Power Adapter Input AC 120V 60Hz LED Power Indicator Yes Dimensions 8.7" x 3.35" x 3.35" Weight 2lbs

Reply to
sammy

No But, what Doug said, me too.

Reply to
Jim

it'll probably be fine for front door...just don't aim it at the sun.

| >

| >

| > | >> I want an entry way (front door) security camera for my home. The | > | >> following | > | >> seems to have everything i want in a camera. You can click on the | > specs, | > | >> features, what's included links and so forth for a ggod picture of | > what | > | >> it | > | >> is. | > | >>

| > | >> But it's very inexpensive. There's nothing wrong with that! But I | > just | > | >> wonder if it's a good deal or is it a crap or a camera. | > | >>

| > | >>

| >

formatting link
| > | >>

| > | >> Thanks, | > | >>

| > | >> Sammy | > | >

| > | > First, you have to know that the cameras that most professional | > | > use ..... bare minimum .... start at about the $200.00 level. In my | > | > opinion, the above camera doesn't tell you what lens it has, 24 LED's | > | > is NOT going to get you 45 feet of night viewing, the .8 lux is not | > | > great and you need more than 420 lines if you want to see anything | > | > clearly. But, on the other hand it's probably worth $59.00. | > | >

| > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

formatting link
?O=12561&A=details&Q=&sku=412661&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation I think this may be a little more along the lines of what you need - remember with your camera, you also need something to view it on - monitor, tv, etc.

formatting link
(Note: link provided as an example; this is not to recommend or endorse this particular item).

Reply to
Matt Ion

Not a bad camera, but a bit bulky. In addition to the camera, you will need a monitor for viewing and a DVR (new technology) or Time Lapse recorder (old technology) to record history. Check out this page for alternatives:

formatting link

Reply to
jrkennedyii

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.