wire vs wired

Having a security system installed in my house. ADT is pushing for wireless. I thought hard wired was better Any help is appreciated

Reply to
Harry Dope
Loading thread data ...

if I were paying someone I would want hard wired. Anybody can lick and stick wireless devices to the wall and in a few years they will be obsolete just like computers. With hard wired in a few years if something quits working you still have the hardwired backbone that you can use and just replace a relatively inexpensive sensor. With wireless you are apt to have to replace everything if the company that made the equipment has gone to some newer technology and no longer supports the old stuff.

Reply to
Chub

Chubb,

You're absolutely right about obsolescence being a factor when considering wireless alarm systems, but I just thought I'd let you in on my experiernce through the years.

Ademco came out with the 5600 series wireless system ( I think) in the late 70's early 80's. It was (for it's time) the best that had been developed up till then. We (installers) didn't even consider obsolescence being a factor, because it was a new technology and ...... well it just didn't occur to anyone at the time.

Through the years, the product worked ok for it's time and most of the bugs were worked out as far as the technology would allow for the time. As time passed, the rumor got out that the FCC was going to shut down the frequency that the 5600 used. Those who didn't have the foresight, just cried and moaned and used it as an excuse to replace entire systems. I, among others, started gathering parts and through the remaining years, held on to the parts from abandoned and replaced installations. At the present time, I've still got installations with the 5600 technology all working fine and still have a stock pile of parts to support them. Amongst the group of friendly competitors locally, we occasionally trade parts for some of the older systems that we've installed through the years. Yes, it will eventually end but at least I've been able to support my customers who believed in me. By the time I run out of parts, they'll either be long gone or it'll be time for an up grade anyway. 25 to 30 years is WAY more than a resonable amount of time to support a product and for a client to expect a system to work.

If you or anyone is using wireless and have a fear of the obsolescent boogyman, take note. There is a way to get around it.

Reply to
Jim

If it can be wired, do so. Assuming you're talking to an ADT "authorized dealer" rather than ADT Corporate, I'll also advise you to take more bids. Jim Rojas, one of the folks who posts here, is in your area. He's a decent guy. If he doesn't join this thread, contact me and I'll give you his phone number.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You got to be kidding me! You would just give out someones phone number to anyone on the net. I think he email would do just fine. Do you know anything about this person. What if Jim has a problem with this? And you have access to peoples credit card numbers? I can see it now after a few brief emails with someone on the net, "Wow, you seem to be a great guy, here are a couple of credit card numbers on me". To everyone else, I know RLB has me filtered, so please pass along. Maybe if he receives it 15 or 20 times, he will get the message. Thanks!

Reply to
Bob Worthy

good point

Reply to
Chub

obviously you are an extraordinary security provider. :) I'm sure you agree that hardwired is better even without obsolescence factored though, as long as it can be hardwired. poster is in FL I think and those houses are not always easy to hardwire what with no basements and tile floors especially in a 2 story so he may have to go at least partially wireless.

Reply to
Chub

too bad he is pretending to have you filtered though because I really enjoyed your discussions most. kicks and giggles always ;)

Reply to
Chub

RLBs fragile ego won't allow him to filter anyone, he will ignore, but not filter someone until he thinks he can score a point against them and then he will respond.

On a side note I claim the dubious honour of being the first person in this group that RLB claimed to have filtered back in 1998 what a hoot.

formatting link
and the fairly innoculous post that provoked it

formatting link
Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Make that innocuous, not innoculous

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

When it comes to Residential, wireless usually has more supervision of detection devices than wired systems do... However, if installing companies would properly terminate wired devices, the opposite would be true...........

Reply to
Russell Brill

Thought is was an English thing. js

Reply to
alarman

Awwww shucks ...... twarnt nuffin!

Wired is always the first choice. But it gripes me when I see wireless getting a bad rap by people who don't know how to install it. If done properly, except for battery changing, it's just as reliable and has some additional features and capabilities that hard wire doesn't.

Yeah. And I certainly wouldn't want to be crawling if a crawl space, under a house that's in Florida. :-o

Reply to
Jim

If you can afford the cost of post wiring a house go for wired. If not wireless is a very effective solution.

These days most clients I have don't want to have me crawling around they're house for 3 or 4 days trying to post wire an impossible home...much less pay me do a wired job when we can install 20+ opening wireless in 4-8 hours.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

In the words of our beloved leader, I can spell but I can't type

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Considering that in most cases (according to an installer I work with who worked in Fl for years) you would be crawling through soggy dirt under a concrete slab. ;-)

The Company I work for balances the man hours it will (probably) require to run a wire -vs- the cost of the wireless component and that is the determining factor. If a salesman spec's a wired door contact in a door over a finished basement with no way to go up - we put in wireless.

On the side I do telephone, cable and data network wiring in homes. I frequently do basedboard or crown mold shots that can get me anywhere in I need in most houses. It is time consuming, but my customers appreciate that there is no wired stapled wasit high around the outside of their home. I am willing to do the same to wire a security system but my boss prefers to go wireless.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Just curious Crash, when you send out your installer, do you send them out alone or in teams?

Obviously the size of a job has an affect, huge jobs of course a team and tiny ones solo...

But for an average job...

Crash Gord> If you can afford the cost of post wiring a house go for wired. If not

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Wellll, one would "think" that two men on a job would cut the time in half..but it doesn't. I guess yakking and donut eating may have something to do with it.

But since I like to get most jobs done in one day, I usually send two guys; installer/techy + helper. Or me and a helper :-)

Since down-sizing 6 or so years ago, I don't run big crews anymore...just small family company. I'm having fun again! I even go out on rough-ins (which I hate) but it's good excercise for this old fart.

| > These days most clients I have don't want to have me crawling around | > they're house for 3 or 4 days trying to post wire an impossible home...much | > less pay me do a wired job when we can install 20+ opening wireless in

4-8 | > hours. | >

| >

| >

| >

|
Reply to
Crash Gordon

innoculous ~ describing a group which has been properly vaccinated against a particular malady. js

Reply to
alarman

innoculous ~ when someone pokes you in they eye by accident?

| > On a side note I claim the dubious honour of being the first person in | > this | > group that RLB claimed to have filtered back in 1998 what a hoot. | >

| >

formatting link
| >

| > and the fairly innoculous post that provoked it | >

| >

formatting link
| >

| > Doug L | >

| >

| >

| >

| >> You got to be kidding me! You would just give out someones phone number | >> to | >> anyone on the net. I think he email would do just fine. Do you know | >> anything | >> about this person. What if Jim has a problem with this? And you have | >> access | >> to peoples credit card numbers? I can see it now after a few brief emails | >> with someone on the net, "Wow, you seem to be a great guy, here are a | >> couple | >> of credit card numbers on me". To everyone else, I know RLB has me | >> filtered, so please pass along. Maybe if he receives it 15 or 20 times, | >> he | >> will get the message. Thanks! | >>

| >>

| >

| >

| >

| >

| >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.