wire vs wired

binnoculous, when they do both eyes

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

formatting link

ROFL!! That's worth at least two hoots... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Joe, I basically send one man on most jobs. If it is big, like a church or multiple warehouses, then I send a second with him. We are fully equipped with the tools from labor savings devices,

formatting link
and one man can do most any job. Allan

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

When there's no viable alternative, wireless is acceptable. To say (as some here do) that the two are equal is simply untrue. Good quality, hard-wired sensors can last twenty, thirty years or more. Equal quality wireless components become trash as soon as the first component in the system fails after the manufacturer discontinues support of the line.

Several years ago DSC decided to switch from 900 MHz to 433 MHz wireless because the latter is less expensive to make. Within two years -- less than the warranty period of any decent alarm company -- they stopped supporting 900 MHz. That left thousands of dealers with tens of thousands of customers in the lurch. The first time one 900 MHz RF transmitter or receiver fails the vict... er, client has to pay to replace *all* his RF transmitters plus the receiver.

Replacing batteries isn't much of an issue with modern transmitters. Most will give a warning at the keypad and at the monitoring center when a battery needs replacement.

Another issue is the appearance of an RF alarm system. Wired sensors can often be hidden from view, recessed in door and window frames. There are also wired motion detectors that can fit in a small hole in the sheet rock, leaving only a small, discreet "eye" visible.

IntelliSense (Honeywell) makes a model FG-1625RFM glass break detector that fits in a hole in the sheet rock as well. The visible part is a thin, white disc about the size of a silver dollar.

Most* wireless door and window sensors and all wireless motion and glass break detectors involve highly visible, plastic boxes all over the house. This can significantly degrade WAF.

*Exceptions: Ademco, ITI and Napco each now offer recessed wireless door / window transmitters. These need to be carefully tested before installation as placement can sometimes be critical. There's a fairly large hole involved too, so they can't be used on most modern windows. They're primarily intended for use on doors.
Reply to
Robert L Bass

Robert- Go have a donut, and contemplate the center of that donut very carefully. This represents the value of your self-serving contributions to this group.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

hey weez be on the same wavelength lol

| >

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Thank God for Roy and his inventions......... :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

You're mind is hard at work trying to coming up with an original thought, eh?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I'll bet he can at least *spell* "alarms"... ;-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Robert- Go have a donut, and contemplate the center of that donut very carefully. This represents the value of your self-serving contributions to this group.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

The truly sad thing is that this is the best you can do... over and over again. The truly funny thing is that you believe you're being clever. :^)

FTR, there are very few donut shops in Salvador. We have some of the finest churrascarias on earth, though. For between meal snacks you'd have a much easier time locating an acaraje than a donut.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Warning! Warning! Security Breach.

Robert Bass is giving out peoples credit card numbers.

Aaauuugaaa, Aaauuuugaaa.

Reply to
Optional

The center of a donut represents nothing and everything. It has no beginning and no end. It is empty and it is complete.

Reply to
Optional

You mean it's "complete" in it's emptiness.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Total heavyosity!

Reply to
Michael Baker

I found this about Bass and customers credit cards in google.com

From snipped-for-privacy@karas.com.delthis (Brian Karas)

Well, I said I wouldn't respond to your continued misunderstanding of MIME and VCards, and I don't intend to adress that here, but you make a couple of statements that really irked me, he biggest concern is the last commentsyou made...

As I've pointed out before, you alone have swayed my opinion of you. If you search through DejaNews to about 12-15months go you'll find a post in comp.home.automation where I publicly and strongly defended you when someone else called one f your PR: type posts spam. I've disagreed with you, and made mention that you have a thin understanding of the Internet and Usenet, but I've also said publicly that I believe you are very intelligent in your trade. Recently a topic or two has come up in misc.homeowners about alarm systems, and I've referred one or two people toyour website. If you call my disagreement with you abuse or slander, so be it.

Go answer your e-mails that people constantly complain about you not answering. Or fix your e-mail system, you seem to have plenty of time and technology to keep up with Usenet posts. I'll give you a hint, the people e-mailing you. I_WANT_ to hear your opinion... You find my public posting of you disagreeable, and I'll admit that I sometimes, or even often, may take a strong stance against your opinions. I may be completely blind to your side, but I haven't considered any of my posts unsubstantiated attacks on you. I have sided against you, and tried to give relevant data to back up my arguments, perhaps I could have been more eloquent. Had I been just some guy making random slanderous attacks on you, I might understand why you'd simply delete any mail with my name on it, however, you did not see fit to delete the norders I've placed through your website?

Yes, for those still following along I've ordered about $500 worth of components from Robert in the last few months. I'm a telecommunications geek by trade, and an Automation and cabling installer alongside my 'day job' I've recently begun to pursue alarm systems as a branch of my private business. My biggest alarm installs have been assisting others, and/or my own house. When I had to buy some products recently I went to

formatting link
because of price, not because Robert is my best friend, but because despite my disagreement with him I felt he had an efficient online store and I wanted to 'reward' his efforts with my business. I could have gone to any number of local places and received identical equipment at competitive prices, but I didn't.

After ordering some Napco equipment, I had some questions about the automation and X-10 add-ons, basically I wanted to know the differences between them, etc., as his website didn't really clarify this. So, I sent him an e-mail, which as I mentioned, and he confirmed went unanswered.

So Robert, your overall stance seems to be that you will help any DIY'er so long as they _publicly_ agree with you. However, should someone do a moderate amount of business with you and later disagree with you, all support is cut off, eh?

This is what your actions and words state, and I caution anyone who orders from you that you have a strange way of doing business.

This would almost seem like a complete story, but there is a bit more to it...

When I buy things via the Internet I use a debit card as a credit card, as a small security measure, should the number fall into the wrong hands I can easily minimize my loses and cancel the card without disrupting the rest of my finances, however it's sometimes a less than perfect way to transact business. During a a recent order with Bass for about $380 there was some difficulty in processing the card. There was more than enough funds in my account, but the bank didn't authorize the card on the first try. Robert (and/or his wife) e-mailed me directly with questions/concerns about the card. After verifying my address the order still wouldn't go through, so his wife resorted to calling me on the phone to clear things up, which we did. This process probably took about 4 days to a week and resulted in about 4 e-mails back and forth and a couple of voice mails. During this time Robert had to be more than aware of who I was, as I had posted other 'nasty' public disagreements with him, but no mention was made in the e-mails or phone calls that he would provide no support after the sale.

I hope this message serves to warn some of those who might consider giving him some business, or otherwise putting their faith or trust in him...

Robert has also publicly stated that he doesn't take things too seriously, and is quick to make amends, however I'd have to doubt this...

Robert, I'm sure my $500 didn't buy you an Armani suit, or allow your family to take a tropical vacation, but perhaps you should state somewhere on your webpage that you only support those who support _you_ with words rather than dollars.

I do apologize to all the others that have had to sift through these constant small wars and battles

Brian@ 'at' @Karas. 'dot' .com. Return address munged to prevent SPAM... SOHO DataComm wiring, FAQ's, etc:

formatting link

Reply to
Hugeass

You found out that someone's purchase was declined? How devastating! Bring out the handcuffs right away.

My ex-wife called the customer several times and managed to get the matter resolved.

In point of fact, I didn't know until this was posted (about 6 years ago I think) that the fellow had ordered anything from my online store since he didn't contact me before placing an order.

This fellow had made some derogatory personal comments so I filtered him from USENET and email. Not knowing he had ordered from me, I also didn't know he was looking for tech support. Had he called me on the phone (my number has always been published on my websites) I'd have helped him right away. Someone else even chastised him for making such a stink instead of making a simple phone call to my 800 number.

There was nothing in the post about credit cards other than the fact that his credit card company originally declined the purchase. That was really his problem but my ex-wife went the extra mile by contacting him several times to get it cleared. He received his merchandise in a timely fashion once the card finally went through.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Donut Hole Singularity ?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
Michael Baker

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.