Window Sensors

been there!

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

Gottcha!

If the ones you found are working ....use them. I was thinking that if the mags were not recessed into the bottom of the sash, the window wouldn't close all the way down and you wouldn't get a good seal.

Even if the window is hollow, you can recess the mags. You fill the hole with caulk. Let it dry a little. push the magnet into the caulk until it's flush. put a piece of scotch tape over it and let it dry. If you're using the right size drill bit, you can even get the mag to "press fit" into the think thicness of vinyl.

Sure, post a pic. Someone else may get another idea.

Reply to
Jim

Oh, that was you? I wondered.

If it wasn't a direct hit then it probably entered through one building's ground and exited through another, passing through your electronics along the way. I must admit I've only done a few homes with wire grid beneath stucco. I'll take your word for it that the stuff causes problems. One problem with wiring multiple buildings to a single panel is there's almost never a way to do a bonded ground. I'd rather throw in an extra panel than wire them together.

By coincidence, a customer of mine recently ordered eight Vista-128FBP panels for use in multiple dwellings. Against my advice he decided to wire them all together. At least he has seven spares for use after the next seven lightning storms. :^)

I hear you. BTW, one of the few times when we lost Sentrol (now GE Security) switches to lightning I called the manufacturer to ask for recommendations to avoid a repeat performance. I explained that lightning had hit the system and about 10 of my switches were ruined. They sent me 20 units (two-for-one replacement). These were a mix of surface and recessed sensors. Somehow I doubt GE would be as nice as Sentrol used to be.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Bullshit.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No actually it is Coulomb's law, the vector form. (Named after a French physicist, making Pete happy) And, for the record, that is part of rocket science actually. Finally a proven connection between rocket science and the alarm industry!

formatting link

Reply to
Roland More

sure it can be random...especially if he's talking about wire numbers.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

builders don't wanna pay for separate systems on 3, 5, 10 model homes.

the interconnects were in buried emt - the panel itself was to bonded ground (which I'm not sure is a really good idea anymore either)

Sentrol did send me 2 for 1 replacements but big deal !

Reply to
Crash Gordon

No, actually it is not Coulomb's Law, which states that like charges repel and unlike charges attract (part of the reason Jiminex is in so love with me; I can think and he cannot).

Coulomb said nothing about an electrical discharges vaporizing one sensor, passing by the next and then destroying a third on the same loop. That claim was utter bullshit, nowhere near the magnitude of olsonic bullshit but still bullshit in its purest form. This is a common method of debate in ASA. State the absurd as fact in order to support an untenable argument.

Can Petem pronounce physicist?

Rocket science utilizes principles of physics. So does your service van when you drive to an installation. That doesn't make alarm installation rocket science. It's still a blue collar trade.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Electromagnetism and electromagnetic field strength are dealt with in Coulomb gauge. Again if you picture the lightning strike as a point that is surrounded by an electromagnetic field, it is easy to see the target comparison with differing values the further from the center you are. Any wire run in the strike area is going to cross the field as it expands and collapses during a lightning strike. Therefore a different potential value will be built up in each wire run. You now live in a state where lightning is an issue. I don't think that was true in earlier years for you. I can only tell you what I have seen with my own eyes. It is not a random observation, but seems to hold true in nearly every lightning event I has seen the aftermath of. Over time that has probably been a hundred or so events that were substantial. One lightning event from 1982 still sticks in my mind. I guess that was the first time I had ever taken real notice of the phenomenon. At that time I couldn't explain to myself what I was seeing. One contact destroyed, the next contact fine, the next slightly damaged etc. Now it makes more sense, but it is still counterintuitive and strange to see nevertheless. The only thing stranger in that department would be for you to post some pictures of some Lichtenberg figures on the top your head. That would mean you had a real lightning education.

That perception of lightning damage in alarm systems is not my one off observation by the way. If you call a parts house somewhere in Texas, like say SGI, and talk to a guy named Dan he'll talk your ear off about it. In English of course, but in Spanish if you prefer. No Brazilian Portuguese just yet.

Reply to
Roland More

Roland,

Just a note: I wouldn't get too much consumed in this "debate". You can consider it as just "your turn". Eventually he sucks everyone into his vortex of antithetical diatribe. And of course ..... it's your fault ..... he's not the cause because he's right and you're wrong but you're just to stupid to see that. This is his method, this is his reputation. ..... It's just finally and simply ...... your turn. Actually it is somewhat gratifying to see him continue his pattern of inimical perversion. It all the more justifies how he should be treated.

Reply to
Jim

Okay, it's my turn finally? I can't wait!!

Wait a m> > Electromagnetism and electromagnetic field strength are dealt with in

Reply to
Just Looking

Yes, yes, yes. That has nothing to dso with the subject at hand.

Lightning is an issue in every state. It's just a more frequent one here in SW Florida.

I've dealt with the aftermath of lightning strikes on or near numerous structures in CT. Most frequently the damage is caused by ground strike lightning. When it hits the energy spreads out much like ripples on a pond. As it spreads out from that point, traveling along the surface of the ground, it looks for the easiest path. If there are multiple grounds on a structure or on a group of electrically interconnected structures, current will flow in through one ground and out through another. That's why a bonded ground is so important.

Naah. That would only mean that I had either studied xerography or broken into a museum. My favorite Lichtenberg aphorism: "If countries were named after the words you first hear when you go there, England would have to be called 'Damn It.'"

That's OK. He can just be wrong in Spanish. I don't mind. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Now I see where your thinking is off a bit. However the concept of the energy is spreading is okay, the stroke itself is not a single event. High speed videos (examined frame-by frame) show that most lightning strikes are made up of multiple individual strokes. A typical strike is made of 3 to

4 strokes. There may be more. Each re-strike is separated by a relatively large amount of time, typically 40 to 50 milliseconds. In any case alarm wire is not of a gauge to handle the joules in lightning, What is happening is the build up and collapse of a electromagnetic field that induces a voltage in the wiring. Not necessarily a transmission of the power in the stroke itself. If the lightning used the wiring as a pathway it would be totally barbequed from one end to the other on the path of travel. That is not descriptive of the damage I have witnessed.

No it would mean that lightning struck you and you miraculously survived.

formatting link
Lichtenberg figures, sometimes called "lightning flowers" or "skin feathering", are sometimes formed beneath the skin of humans who have been struck by lightning. The unfortunate victim will often have one or more reddish radiating feathery patterns that branch outward from the entry and exit points of the strike.

Should that ever happen to you be certain to post it here.

Reply to
Roland More

You're posting information that is non-probative of your original (erroneous) point.

All of which is irrelvent to the point at hand.

You're confusing me with Benjamin Franklin. There is no record indicating that he was interested in xerography either.

Very pretty, but it does nothing to substantiate your beliefs about lightning damage along an alarm circuit.

Quoting web articles about dead scientists doesn't make you a scientist (dead or otherwise).

It didn't just "happen to" Lichtenberg either. BTW, he is far better known for his aphorisms than for his scientific studies.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I see there is no such thing as INDUCED VOLTAGE. I wonder why then, in the good old days especially, many alarm manufacturers would always caution about running wiring in such a way to avoid inductance issues (like crossing power lines at 90 degrees rather than run in parallel for any distance). Furthermore, the build up and collapse of a magnetic field during multiple strikes makes no difference? That is the basic technique for creating a flow of electrons in a wire in the first place. I am certain you have been on the rooftop of many a building. I imagine you took noticed of the devices installed to deal with lightning. Those wires thickness designed to deal with the brunt of a strike are measured in inches and fractions of inches, nothing like puny class 2 wiring. You might believe that your ideas about lightning are mainstream, but I think you out on your own here.

Reply to
Roland More

I didn't say that. You're still rambling about things which have no bearing on the point of contention. Have you been taking debating lessons from Olson?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
Just Looking

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.