remodeling house, need to move sensors

I'm in the process of remodeling home, replacing doors, windows.......I have an ADT wirelss system and need to relocate teh sensors to the new doors but don't want to pay the service fee of professional. When i try to move the sensor the alarm activates and i get a phine call from monitoring. Can anyone give me the info on how to move these things? Thanks in advance for any help

Reply to
onedayatatime
Loading thread data ...

So many issues.

You could use the shut down procedure in the Professional Installers Manual, then re-move and re-locate the sensors, then exactly follow the Power Up procedures in the Professional Installers Manual, and then because you have now lost all the programmed memory give ADT a call and set an appointment for them to come out and re-program the system and make the service fee part of your home equity line of credit for the remodel you just did.

Hope that helps ya.

Reply to
ABLE_1

Jesus! js

Reply to
alarman

call the central station and put the system on test while you are moving of the sensors.

Reply to
AlarmCoJoe

Just call the central station and tell them to put the system "on test." Then move the sensors to wherever you need them. When you're finished, call and tell them you're finished testing.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Lemme guess, you don't want to pay ADT to do it?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Of course not...and he will also want ADT to pay false alarm fees after he reinstalls them incorrectly.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Actually that's not very good advice. Removing the covers on a battery powered sensor will trigger the "cover tamper" alarm. This will generate a signal to the CS that tells them you're actually "monkeying" with the system. "Monkeying" is not allowed under the terms of your contract and could well generate a service visit which will become "billable" when they discover what it is you've done. Now if the "cover tamper" had been preceded by a "low battery" fault, then that would be an entirely different kettle of fish. Most companies will allow you to change out your own batteries and have a procedure for doing so.

Reply to
Frank Olson

It is one thing to simply "move" a wireless sensor. That is an almost mindlessly simple thing to do. However there are other things to consider here. You don't mention the type of construction you have or the distances involved between transmitter and receiver. If doing this properly one would perform a wireless placement test on each sensor (including the ones you don't move due to new construction items blocking signals) to be certain that the signal is being sent and receive properly. I don't know what kind of wireless gear ADT uses in your area (others here probably do) but some form of placement test is proper on any wireless deployment. The FM in wireless can stand for "funny magic" sometimes. A sensor placed in one area might have poor performance and the same sensor moved merely a few inches can have acceptable performance. Additionally on some brands of wireless gear if you move the sensors all at once you may start the timers all at once and then have the transmitters "stepping" on each other's check in signal. I suggest you find more information about the system you have before perhaps creating an annoying problem for yourself. If you don't want to pay full fare, perhaps you could find a parts house in your area and find an installer there to do it after hours for less than normal rates. You might get lucky and have no problems if you do it yourself, but there is more than an outside chance that you may have some issues if you simply move the transmitters without testing first.

"onedayatatime" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Roland Moore

I think the OP knows this as he stated that is exactly what happened when he opened the sensor. In which case he would enter his code to stop the tamper alert. This is what a tech would do that had been sent out there to move the sensors.

that's why one would put the system in test first.

really? you give adt alot of credit. somehow I doubt they are that on top of things.

Reply to
AlarmCoJoe

So you're willing to pay to have doors and windows replaced but you can't see the logic in paying a professional to service your alarm system? You have some screwy line of thinking.

Reply to
I brive a dus

Understand that he's now voiding any warranty on the system the second he moves or services the components, and if any devices become damaged he's responsible for replacement at ADT's rates. He's better off just paying for the service call.

Reply to
I brive a dus

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.