Most Reliable DYI Home Alarm System

Not sure if it's okay to ask this question: What do you recommend for system with 16 window/door sensors, 5 smoke detectors, and 1 heat sensor? ADT system is 22 years old and yearly monitoring bill is almost $600.

Thanks.

TomC, homeowner.

Reply to
tomz
Loading thread data ...

Call a local alarm company that does its own monitoring. make sure maintenance is included in the monthly fee. Check with the state licensing for complaints and length of time in business, call neighbors that have their window sticker to see if the service is good. Re: equipment, go with what they recommend because they will be responsible for maintaining it.

If the smoke have been there for 22 years, they should be replaced. Test each of them at least annually (push button with signal to Central Station).

Hope that helps, John

Reply to
John Sowden

detectors, and 1 heat sensor? ADT system is 22 years old and yearly monitoring bill is almost $600.

Call around to LOCAL independent dealers and have them replace the control panel & keypads, and the smoke detectors. Have them inspect the rest of the sensors. Negotiate a reasonable monitoring fee, with a reasonable contract length (2 years or less). If you pay upfront for the equipment, get a month to month contact.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thank you, gentlemen.

Reply to
tomz

ectors, and 1 heat sensor? ADT system is 22 years old and yearly monitorin g bill is almost $600.

Ask 5 different alarm installers and get 5 different answers.

I like Napco equipment but most DIY'ers find the keypad programming more di fficult than others. If you get the Quickloader program however, it's prett y straight forward. You have to study the instructions for any/every panel so it's no harder than any other (IMHO). I've got Napco products installed for close to 40 years and still working. But .... that's just my experience . Others may care to differ.

It seems as if most DIY'ers wind up using DSC because it's very accessible, cheap, and easy to program. Many installers do use it also but (again IMHO ) it's very cheaply made and I think their Tech support sucks. Bad attitude and they seem to have a history of not notifying anyone when they know the re's a product problem. Their policy seems to be, .... if the customer does n't complain, then don't tell them that there's a problem with a product.

Honeywell has a pretty good response along with GE products from what I see on the DIY web sites.

YMMV

Reply to
Jim

YOu Also want to check out 2GIG, Very user friendly DIY system, works with Alarm.com for full managed control best prices are at

formatting link

Reply to
michaelferer

You Also want to check out 2GIG, Very user friendly DIY system, works with Alarm.com for full managed control best prices are at

formatting link

Reply to
michaelferer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.