Question on Which Brand to Buy

Hello group. I am building a new townhouse and pre-wiring for an alarm system comes with the package. I am new to all this so I am asking for guidance on type and brand. Here are my thoughts:

I will have 2800 square feet (finished basement with egress windows, main level with two entry doors (front and rear) and an upstairs with three bedrooms). I am mostly concerned with intrusion detection and not fire. I am thinking door, window and motion detection for basement and main level would be adequate (nothing upstairs). A keypad and some type of remote keypad/buzzer in the master bedroom. I would like a system that is capable of connecting to my home network and Internet and be capable of emailing my blackberry for all events (arm, disarm, alarm). I don't want my system monitored and not really sure I want a big bell on the outside of the house but I do want to be awaken in the middle of the night should an alarm get tripped. Being able to add video in the future would be nice as well.

I believe in buying quality especially for something like an alarm system and the ability to do upgrades is important as well. I am somewhat familiar with ADEMCO, APEX and OMNI. Does anyone have any thoughts on any of this or care to share a personal experience with alarm systems pitfalls? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Lance
Loading thread data ...

"I believe in buying quality especially for something like an alarm system".

You should consider having a fire alarm; no matter what system you have installed.

Just my two cents.

Norm Mugford

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

AT&T 8300 should do fine

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Nah, Moose Z1250........ :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

Ademco panels are good but won't handle your Internet requirements. Apex does some home automation but really won't fill the bill either. The Omni Pro system can do pretty much all you ask. The ELK M1G Gold system might be a better choice than all of the above though.

FWIW, I don't have any cause for bias in this regard since I sell all of these brands direct to the public. IMO the ELK Product is superior to the Omni series as a control unit and significantly more configurable than Apex. Ademco's Vista series panels really don't do much with Internet connectivity though they're relatively inexpensive compared to the others in this group. On the plus side, Ademco is easy to program by keypad.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Don't make me come down there. js

Reply to
alarman

Actually the correct phrase is "Don't make me come over and up there" since I am east and slightly north of you

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Shouldn't "up" refer to your location's height above sea level?? I always told my Mum-in-Law that we were coming "up" to see her. Edmonton's 2000 feet ASL, and Vancouver's pretty well "zero" ASL (in spots).

Reply to
Frank Olson

down? you mean; over we have clearance Clarence...

:-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

man, you got it half right... up north down south out west back east

| > Don't make me come down there. | > js | | Actually the correct phrase is "Don't make me come over and up there" since | I am east and slightly north of you | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I didn't want to confuse Jack with that :)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

up the road a piece down the road a piece over the hill and thru the dale hither an yan which way did he go, which way did he go? geesh!

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.