Need to add sensors, but don't know which

Hi,

I've decided to add Glassbreak sensors and and add a couple of motion detectors in my house. I'm also looking to add an extra smoke/firealarm around my kitchen area and one on the bedroom level.

My problem is that there are so many different makes and models out there on the market that I really don't know which to get. I've been scouring the web for some unbiased reviews of different sensors, but that type of review just doesn't seem to exist. I was once told years ago that I should use a much more sensitive smoke detector on the bedroom level than near the kitchen level, but don't know how to determine that from looking at specs.

I see there are so many different types and technologies of glassbreak detectors, PIRs and smoke detectors that I am a bit lost with the selection process.

My main panel is able to handle extra sensors / zones, so I have no worries about that. As well, wiring for the extra sensors is mostly done already so I'm not concerned about getting the wiring in the correct place.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your input / insight!

Eric

Reply to
Eric B.
Loading thread data ...

If you stay with main line sensors like honeywell , dsc ,napco ,ge there all very dependable depends on tech you want on them. you do not want a smoke near kitchen use a heat detector in kitchen.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Any feedback about the Sentrol ShatterPro II glassbreak sensor recessed? Are these good? Reliable? Or do they have a lot of false alarms?

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
Eric B.

I like the good old fashioned round wired glass break sensors. They have two electrical contacts in them and a bit of mercury floating inside. When the glass breaks, it makes the mercury jump and lose electrical contact.

No electronics to go bad, simple, works forever. Adjustable.

But I did a search and don't see them anywhere. If you can't find these, I would suggest getting a couple of different types of sensors, a few sheets of glass, and testing them.

I would avoid anything with electronics in it as electronics can stop working. (Lightning nearby will zap electronics, heat/cold cycles can break electronics.) How would you know it still worked after 5 years?

Reply to
Bill

I've used Sentrol and IntelliSense glassbreak detectors with pertty similar results. Newer models don't false anywhere near as much as the old ones did. Either brand will do the job. Another genleman posted about the round on-glass models. I'm not fond of those because of problems during cold weather.

Regards,

Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
sales

trolling again.

Regards,

Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
Kid

window bugs are pure junk

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Then we can assume you would also avoid the rest of the security system since it has electronics and can also stop working?

Test it like you would with the mercury switch

Reply to
mleuck

So then .... I guess he should substitute the alarm system for a big rock over the door with a trip wire. Errr excuse me ... I mean trip vine.

Reply to
Jim

Eric, the GE/Sentrol ShatterPro II is an excellent sensor and aesthetically pleasing as well, the actual part # is GE5820. It's very good as far as acoustic sensors go, but whenever possible I prefer to use on the glass sensors like the GE5150.

Reply to
Effenpig1

nothing more stupid than investigating why a mercury switch didn't go off when a window was broken out...get there and it's still attached to the ONLY piece of glass still in the frame. or I've seen them where the installer adjusted them so they'd never go off because they were falsing all the time. they're crap detectors and I would never use them.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.