What happened to my alarm system last night ?

Last night I activated my ADT alarm system to "STAY" before I went to bed. Today morning when I woke up, the alarm system was in TURNED OFF or NOT ARMED state.

Any body know whay might have happened and how is this possible ?

Reply to
Brent
Loading thread data ...
  1. Which ADT system do you have?
  2. Did you lose power overnight?
  3. How old is your standby battery?
  4. There is no 4. (old joke...don't ask)
  5. Are you the orignal owner of this system?
6 Was it already installed when you moved in?
  1. Have you had any lightning or voltage surges which may have damaged any applicances in the past couple of years?

I would pay closer attention this evening and make absolutely sure it is armed. Just becase it beeps, doesn't mean it's armed. You might have disarmed it (Your Code + 1) and hearing the beep assumed it was armed. We are all human here... :)

I myself use the quick arm feature (# + 3) just to be sure. If this feature is enabled in your system, you may want to do it that way from now on.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I have ADT's GE alarm panel and a honeywell cell backup package installed last month.

I didnt lose power last night.

Standby battery is less than 2 months old. My system is brand new and installed last month.

I am the original owner of the system.

I have an APCC power backup that can run for 1.5 hrs to which my alarm system is connected.

No lightning or voltage purges in the last 2 months since all other appliances which are not connected to my power backup and surge protector are still working fine.

I am positive I armed it last night to STAY and I dont think its a mistake that I thought it is armed to STAY.

What are the other possibilities if it is true that I didnt make a mistake last night. Can anybody with prior access to my door alarm system panel programmed my system to remotely turn it off ?. Just wondering.

Reply to
Brent

Ok...now we are getting somewhere.

Which GE panel? Simon 3, Concord Express, Networx NX8?

I need to know the exact model in order to be of further help.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Its GE Concord Express.

Out of curiosity, are the other systems Simon 3 and Networx NX8 better than Concord Express ?

Are there any advantages with those systems over concord express ?

Reply to
Brent

The Simon 3 is a fully wireless system. The NX-8 is a full featured hybrid system made by another division of GE named Caddx.

The Concord Express is a nice system. Every system is designed to fit an application & market...The Concord Express fits as a low cost hybrid system with wireless flexibility built right in.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Ok what about my original question as to why my alarm system was off in the morning even though I activated it to STAY mode last night.

Reply to
Brent

Some possibilities, beginning with the most likely:

1. You may not have armed your system, just thought you did. It won't be the first time that's happened.
  2. Someone else disarmed the system after you armed it, and won't fess up. Also not the first time.
  3. The alarm company disarmed your system via remote up/download.
  4. Your system is defective.

If your system has an event log, look at it or have the alarmco do it. That will solve the mystery. js

Reply to
alarman

I will be more careful and make sure I turn it on to STAY mode every night and make it into a habit.

Nobody can get into my apartment when I am asleep since I have the two windows locked with two sliding window locking dowels on each window and I also have a hasp key lock on the door.

So what needs to be determined is if anybody with access to my alarm system can turn off my alarm system "remotely" ?

I just called ADT one more time and confirmed they didnt disarm it remotely last night. Moreover ADT told me no body at ADT can disarm my system if I armed it with my master code.

Quite possible.

Where should I look for the event log ?

What information do you as a security expert need to access my alarm panel remotely and download or re-program it ? I understand dealers or the installers can do it but as a security expert can you remotely program my panel if you know the required information.

In my Concord Express users manual on page 26 it says in the "If the power goes out" section.

"Your system has a battery backup that keeps your system operational during a power failure. An optional feature allows your system to alert the CS if the power is off fo rmore than 15 minutes. It reports again when power has been restored."

The worst part is the ADT dealer who installed my system does not know how to program this optional feature into my system and they are offering me to remove the whole system and refund the money.

Can I get ADT directly to send their technician and get my system reprogrammed for this optional feature since the ADT dealer has no clue how to do it ?

On page 14 of the users manual there was some information about "Notification by Pager" that sends "high level reports" to the pager about AC power fail, cpu back in service, phone failure, sensor alarms, sensor tamper, receiver failure, receiver jam, touchpad tamper etc.

And lastly on page 28, it says about Alarm system limitations and that the system can be compromised "If intruders have the technical means of bypassing, jamming or disconnecting any or all parts of the system".

Are any of you security experts here capable of bypassing or jamming the signals ?

My ADT dealer installer is a chinese guy and he is not that proficient in english and even his profession and I had a hard time communicating with him.

So help me out with some suggestions.

Reply to
Brent

Amen. Take the money and put it on a system by a local, certified, = PROFESSIONAL.

What part of the country are you in? someone here might be able to point = you in the right direction.

Reply to
Tommy

I'm not at all familiar with that panel, but others here will chime in soon.

Yes, but a remote up/download requires the correct software, which is supposed to be for installers/dealers only, but anyone can get it really. Hopefully ADT changed the default CSID code in your panel, but if it was a dealer, maybe not.

Oh, brother.

Donno. Sloud, you there? Wanna help this gent out?

Been there, done that.

Take them up on the money back deal. Hire a professional, local company to install your system correctly, and expect to pay more than the ADT dealer wanted. In this business, you definitely get what you pay for. js

Reply to
alarman

The event buffer on that one can only be viewed by downloading

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Does it mean it can only be done by the dealer or installer ?

Reply to
Brent

Can I change the CSID code myself without creating any additional problems if there are step by step instructions in the Concord Express programming manual which ADT gave me ?

Yeah I am thinking about switching to another local company.

Reply to
Brent

In general... Yes.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Nope

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yup

Reply to
Mark Leuck

If so, is the CSID stored in the dealer or ADT computers in my account record ?

Reply to
Brent

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.