Keeping lights off at night

Hi all,

I have a situation with our house lights that I asked a few people about, and one (an electrician) mentioned using X10 to solve it. So I don't have any experience with X10, although I understand its basic concepts and have a strong electronics background.

My situation is this: My teenager stays up later than we do and tends to leave lights on. This is bothersome and no doubt affects our electric bill. Nothing seems to work trying to get him to remember to turn them off.

So my question is: how might X10 be applied to this situation?

I first thought of having some method of shutting off power to pertinent circuit breakers at certain times of night, but I don't know of a good way to do that. With X10 the problem is that the wall switches and outlets can be instructed to shut off lights at a certain time of evening, but the problem is that my boy can just turn them on again.

Would it work to program my X10 wall switches and outlets to shut off the lights every half hour throughout the night?

Thanks for your help, Geoff

Reply to
Geoffrey Bard
Loading thread data ...

I think you're in the wrong group. This sounds more like a discipline problem than home automation. try carrotstick.dr_spock

Reply to
blueflash

It's less costly than shooting him, and I presume the issue is that he isn't responding to previous training approaches, so why not? Make it every hour, and sequence through them so he isn't caught in total darkness.

He'll either get the point, go to bed, or deal with it, and those are all good outcomes.

-John O

Reply to
John O

Just put a load sensor in his bed, once it senses a load & the time is before you are scheduled to awake then issue a all lights off command on X10.

Reply to
Mowerman

I doubt it affects it much unless all your heating and cooking isnt electric.

Shooting him when he forgets the next time would work |-)

Not every easily with that particularly situation.

Yes, but if you can have it turn them off after he is guaranteed to have gone to bed, the worst that can do is have him turn them on again if he chooses to stay up all night etc.

Yes, but that's likely to piss him off completely and dont forget that he will be picking your nursing home.

It is theoretically possible to have a system that works on movement detectors and which turns the lights off when he goes to his room, after a delay of say 15 mins, so he only has to turn them on again manually if he leaves his room again after longer, and only say after some time like 12 pm so it doesnt happen in the evening.

Its possible to have completely automatic lighting too so room lights are turned off when no one is in a particular room for longer than a set time.

Thats very nice to use, but isnt that cheap.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I'm thinking about all that lawyer crap. ;-)

In the meantime, maybe son will give Dad some grandkids, and Grand Dad will watch them when Son and SWMBO need some alone time. Son will forget about this after SWMBO has her way.

-John O

Reply to
John O

I doubt it, bullets are cheap.

Not when he remembers that when picking your nursing home |-)

Reply to
Rod Speed

Thats not going to be very effective if he lies on his bed much for other than sleeping. Plenty of kids do.

He wanders into his room at say 8pm, lies on the bed, and all the house lights go off. Not very viable.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope, perfectly viable to automate house lights to allow for the occupant's behaviour.

Completely automatic house lights would be fine, just not that cheap.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yes, that would work. Would be interesting if I could log when he went to bed each night too, though I don't know if X10 is capable of doing that...

Reply to
Geoffrey Bard

So just set the rule to use a window of time; not before XXpm and not after XXam.

Or perhaps better yet, on sensing the load, do a lookup of existing devices (or a light sensor) and either turn the others off automagically or do some other signalling in the kid's room.

Reply to
wkearney99

Easily avoided by blaming it on a burglar |-)

I doubt it. Many never forget what was done to them when kids.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Well, devices exist to do simple on/off switching and relay controlling. You could use any sort of contact closure circuit to monitor whatever sensors needed. Motion, light, load, anything that can close a circuit could be used. Combine that with a controller system that has some programmability and you can probably do all sorts of things. Homeseer on a PC is pretty easy to program. A sensor closing a contact could send an X-10 signal that homeseer picked up. At that point you could run any scripts needed. Not only to control the lights but also to log the timestamp.

Reply to
wkearney99

Not sure its going to be practical to set the XXpm at any particular value if he goes to sleep very late but spends quite a bit of the time late watching TV on his bed, but still walks around the house for stuff to eat etc late.

Fully automatic house lights based on movement sensors make a lot more sense. Those work when getting up for a piss etc too and can be dimmed so you dont get dazzled.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yes, the PC X10 software can log events.

He may not be too thrilled about being monitored tho and dont forget who will be picking your nursing home |-)

Reply to
Rod Speed

Charge him $5 every time he leaves the lights on at night. His memory will improve dramatically, almost overnight.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I think that's the wrong question, unless you are only interested in an X10 solution for some other reason, even if a non-X10 solution might happen to be better for this problem.

Seems to me that it's not that you don't want the lights on at night (you probably do, rather than have someone fall down the stairs in the dark), but rather you don't want the lights on when there's no one about to benefit from them. This would seem to me to be an ideal case for occupancy sensors, which automatically switch on the lights when they detect movement and the light level is low, and automatically switch them off some configurable time after last movement detected.

In the UK, these are available in a number of different forms. Examples are ceiling mounted 360º PIR format, wall mounted 120º format (usually used outdoors), and replacement wall plate switch format. These all switch the mains directly without any type of remote signalling.

Now you could use X10 to do this, but that would really only make sense as part of a more comprehensive home automation setup. It's overkill to solve only the problem you describe.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.