Trick to drilling a larger hole without damaging wiring

I want to replace a recessed sensor that someone prior placed a non metal contact in a metal door. I need to drill out the hole bigger. But I don't want to bugger up the wire drilling. Is there a special drill or a trick to do this? I am scared in this particular door to push the wire up that I will not be able to retrieve it. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
jawdoc
Loading thread data ...

They do make a specail bit with hole in center but your looking $50 or better you could carefully use a dremel tool and widen hole that way have done sucessfully sevral times

Reply to
nmarkowitz

They do make a specail bit with hole in center but your looking $50 or better you could carefully use a dremel tool and widen hole that way have done sucessfully sevral times

Greenlee makes a uni-bit that will work. If you can push the wire up in the door at least 1", widening the (probably) 3/8th hole to the 3/4 hole needed should make retrieving of the wire very easy. Hopefully, who ever installed it in the first place did a good job of getting it centered. Otherwise it could be a problem, not only on the jamb side but on the door as well because you are going to want to change the magnet too. If it is not on center, a larger hole could be to close to the edge of the door. Take a good look at things before you start drilling anything.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Good point about the magnet (the jamb side usually has a little more room). If the magnet is too far off center, fill the hole with "Plastic Wood" (Home Depot or any hardware store). After it sets up drill as usual.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Pack the wire in wet rags and then cut out your hole with a torch?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

a small circle of primer cord would be faster

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Your head technicians name is probably on the "no fly" list... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Unfortunately, there are people like you who'd still let him fly.

After all, just because he uses a little C4 to drill a hole for a contact is no reason to suspect that he might use it for something else.

Why, Mohammad is the sweetest guy you'd ever want to meet.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.