Using powerline to get wireless past a "thick" kitchen wall

Currently I use a wireless router (WRT54GS) to share cable internet access. The wireless signal from the router has to make it past the kitchen to 3 wireless computers. The 3 computers could barely connect and there were many lost packets. I determined there was a dramatic drop in signal strength (10's of dB's) just going through the kitchen cabinets (hardwood cabs filled with all sorts of stuff). Plus there's a big refrigerator in the way.

I added a repeater (WAP54G in repeater mode). My "thick" kitchen wall is inbetween the WRT and WAP. The results are much better. The 3 computers connect to the WAP at 54Mbps very reliably.

However, the overall file transfer speeds from WRT to WAP to wireless computers are only about 2-3 Mbps. I suspect the link between WRT and WAP suffers from the thick kitchen wall. I want to improve the speed of this link.

Would a powerline network help in this case? I'm thinking of using two powerline bridges (Linksys PLEBR10) like this:

WRT > PL#1 > (kitchen wall here) > PL#2 > WAP

Thanks for any comments,

Lance

Reply to
Lance
Loading thread data ...

Drill a hole in the wall. Attach a coax cable to one of the antenna ports on the WRT54GS, pass it through the hole, and connect an antenna (I suggest a $30 8dBi patch antenna). Don't run it through an electrical wall outlet box.

Two problems:

1. Repeaters and WDS cut your thruput in half (or worse). Since they are half-duplex devices, they can only transmit and receive one at a time.
  2. Thruput is totally dependent on connection speed. You're NOT going to get a 54Mbit/sec connection going through a thick wall and a repeater. There's not enough S/N ratio to do it, and you'll get lots of reflections to screw up the works. My guess(tm) is that you'll get about a 12Mbit/sec connection on both the WRT54GS and the WAP54G repeater, resulting in 6Mbits/sec thruput between boxes, and at best
3Mbits/sec from end to end.

I've had thruput problems with power line network devices (HomePNA) when used as a bridge.

formatting link
haven't played with it for a while, but a few years ago, the best I could do was about 5Mbits/sec thruput. There are claims of

14Mbits/sec on current products, but I have no experience. Try the various review sites.

If you decide to go this route, you will have the same half-duplex problem as with the repeater. HomePNA is half duplex and therefore cuts your bandwidth in half. If you use it as an extension cord for your WAP54G, you will lose bandwidth.

Since you already have a WAP54G, just drill a hole in the wall, run CAT5 through the hole, and connect the WAP54G as an access point. Pick a different channel (1, 6, 11) so as not to interfere with your WRT54GS but use the same SSID and encryption key. If drilling the hole is a problem, see if you can borrow some telephone pairs. You can run 10baseT over telco wire for short distances between switched ports.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Oops. That was wrong. Since it doesn't share the same communications medium with wireless, HomePNA power line networking does NOT cut the thruput in half.

[My proof reader doesn't work on weekends.]
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann said the following on 12/19/2004 11:38 AM:

Thanks very much for your comments Jeff. I may just have to get off my duff and run some cable under the kitchen to the other side. I'll then put the WAP45G into access point mode instead of repeater mode.

Plus, since I'll be crawling around under the house anyway, I can get my wife's computer wired up too.

Lance

Reply to
Lance

Well, I haven't gotten off my duff yet but I just remembered something about that "thick" kitchen wall that explains everything. I think Jeff will appreciate this.

About 3 or 4 years ago we had some awful wood paneling removed from the living room side of that thick kitchen wall. Underneath the awful wood paneling was even worse gold-colored foil wallpaper with little red fuzzy fleur-de-lis symbols.

To save time & money, we just had this wallpaper from hell covered up with drywall compound where it screws up my wireless to this day.

Lance

Lance thought carefully and wrote on 12/19/2004 9:32 AM:

Reply to
Lance

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.