Takeover standards

most people don't actually do enough takeovers, ( as compared to you, apparently) to actually put it on a score card. I'd guess that most just look at the quality of the work. Look at the placement and quality of detectors, and contacts to see if they look amature-ish or installed by inexperiened installers, splicing and connection methods) Do detalied questioning about the problems the client has experiened ..... If there are any potential problem spots, do a physical inspection and metering test to confirm any major problem, ( Like funky resistance readings) And determine if you can get past the lockout codes.

Once getting past all that, if .... (and letting the client know up front), if during the take over, other problems become apparent, bring them to the attention of the owner and they've got to be fixed at whatever the cost. If not, THEN unfortunately, you have to walk away. That's the way I do it.

I wouldnt take the time to set up any kind of "three strikes you're out" system, because most of my jobs are new large residential, new construction or for existing clients with only an occasional take over.

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

I've downloaded lots of Z1100E systems in the past but not in the last 10 or 15 years. Their software ran on Windows machines but that was so many years ago that the only machines old enough to still be compatible are lying under a pile of used Brinks stuff in your garage. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I use Winload every now and then. Not that much call for it here.

Jim Rojas

tourman wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

AT&T 8300 works fine although the 8000 software always locks up a minute after login for me

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Well, when push comes to shove, I don't really rely on something quite so concrete as all that. Most of it is gut feel, but....based on some of these concrete problems I run up against. I've been in this business far too long to ever go by such hard and fast rules. I posted that ditty for a couple of reasons...one, to get some of the more inexperienced installers on the ng into thinking, so maybe they might see some how some of their own poor practices in that post can cause grief for clients and other companies. If I had just come out and said what I really thought..."listen you stupid lazy bastards, learn to install properly or get the f*** out of our business"....I think that would have lead to a million negative responses that took the thread to hell and back. Quoting some of those installation problems can be useful when I have to explain to a client why I don't want his monitoring business, and it gives me a way out, when in actual fact, I don't want his business because I can tell he's a cheapskate who is likely to give me trouble over every little cost to repair things. But I can't quite come out and say that can I !!!

Secondly, I wanted to see some technical discussion on the ng like it used to be in years past, where people could give and take ideas for the benefit of readers....don't see much of that anymore...:((

Dunno if it achieved anything, but what the hell....back to sleep

RHC

Reply to
tourman

I still have my old 8000 programmer. wonder if its good for anything?

Reply to
rabbid

I have a dozen or so of them...chuck it!

Jim Rojas

rabbid wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I have 2 of em, they make great paperweights

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Read my post again. We're not in the "business of doing takeovers". When we are presented with one, however, the customer's on the hook for bringing the system up to our standard. For instance: On a commercial job, we use GRI contacts with integral EOL's. The PIR's must have tamper switches (we use Paradox exclusively) and the EOL's must be installed. The wires in the can must be individually identified and documentation must be in the can. We use yellow and black for contacts, red and green for power (except for keypads where the wire colours match the terminals).

Spend all the time you want "looking" for such systems. I prefer to service existing clients and let the ones looking to get taken over, come to me.

From your response, you know exactly what I mean.

I don't "look" for take-overs. The ones that come my way aren't "cherries" either.

And I'd just as soon leave that issue alone. "Sleeping dogs", you know... :-)

Shame on you. You should have charged $905.00. *Kidding*...

The Chubb you know now is not the Chubb I used to work for. Since then they've had several "sweeps" at the senior management level.

Hmmm... ADT in Burnaby is an entirely different "cat".

Which centre? The one in Calgary used to be one of the better ones.

Ever read the back of an Edwards (now GE) work order? If you get a chance, have a look at one. I imagine companies like ADT think along the same lines. Their techs are one of the best paid in the industry and they have a benefits package that's hard to beat.

A wise man once told me that the company that offered good service and fifteen dollar a month monitoring service will "clean up". We go one better. If the customer pays up front for the year, he gets two months free.

Heh! Sleep? What's that?

Reply to
Frank Olson

You're a coward, Bass. And I certainly wouldn't ever try to "make up" anything in this Forum. Not only would anything I came up with pale in comparison to your efforts, I'm also not into "pissing contests". The only reason I won't bow before the "Crown Prince of Make-Believe" is because I figure your head's swelled enough already from all those DIYer's singing your praises at the BBB.

Which you still haven't managed to prove *is* BS.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Been able to make wonder with Microsoft virtual pc and downloading software that run on dos..

you should take a look...

"Jim Rojas" a écrit dans le message de news:

46c58917$0$24135$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...
Reply to
Petem

On Aug 18, 1:34?am, Frank Olson

How many clients less do you think you'd have, if you charged $15.00 a month and DIDN'T give them two free months.

Reply to
Jim

Dunno. For those that pay for the whole year, I figure I should give them something back. After all, there's a whole lot less hassle involved.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Better yet, insist they pay by automatic deduction from a bank account ! Then there is zero hassle and virtually zero cost !

RHC

Reply to
tourman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.