Special Window Protection

Hello All,

Looking for some special brain juice flow on the following.

I have a customer that has a number of Vertical Casement Windows (meaning that they are about 28" wide by 60" high and pivot on the side and have a crank at the bottom to open thru some gearing).

They would like to protect these windows while they are O-P-E-N at various angles. The windows presently have the roll up screening installed for a bug retardant on the inside. It is kinda like a window blind but with screen and secure track on the edges. The windows are at ground level.

I have about tapped my idea bank and came up empty on a solution. I even suggested that they NOT leave the windows OPEN but that raised eyebrows a bit.

Anyone ever made ??something?? work in this type of application??

All ideas are welcome since it may spark another.

TIA

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1
Loading thread data ...

Les,

You said the word yourself... screens. You can have alarm screens custom made for the windows. They're not *too* expensive though they certainly cost more than magnetic contacts. I've worked with Safe-Vie Security Screens for many years. They do an excellent job. They're in Cranston, RI. Here's their phone number: 401-946-3340. Ask for Chuck.

For those who don't already know it, alarm screens have a thin wire woven into the fabric at the mill. The security screen firm uses the existing frame or builds a custom frame to fit the window. Typically there is a magnetic tamper switch near one corner of the screen and a concealed pigtail routed into a corner diagonally opposite the tamper. The connector is completely hidden when the screen is in place. Any attempt to remove or cut the screen will trigger the alarm. An End-of-Line resistor can also be hidden in the screen to trip an alarm if someone tries to short the wires.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Like Bob said Screens.. I use Advance Alarm Products from Doraville GA for all my screens.. Been using them for over 20 years with no problems..

770-454-7669 sales 700-457-1822 fax

RTS

Reply to
Rocky T Squirrel

Robert,

Actually I made that suggested and explained to the customer that we would have to remove the existing movable screens and replace with a fixed type screen. The response that I got was, "Isn't there another way?"

So I have been trying to think of another way.

Presently I am installing security screens on all 2nd floor windows. There is a local company that does them as well and they pick up and deliver too.

Thanks for the help.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

These might work for you.

formatting link

Reply to
Carl Carlson

Carl,

It would nice if they would. But with the casement window open it would block the bean. Putting them inside they would be tripped by the dog or cat looking out the window.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

I thought inside. The dog/cat would have to block both of the IR beams, you might put them on a delay. Just a thought... js

Reply to
Carl Carlson

seems like a good screen guy could wire them if they're removeable. a coupla mags. yer good to go. costs extra tho

Reply to
micr0

Carl,

I took a second look at the specs on the Optex unit but could not find where it says that one blocked beam is not an alarm. Doesn't say other wise it just indicates that there is one alarm output if the beam(s) are blocked. May have some merit but may have to do further investigating. Thanks, Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

I did not think it was possible to do that since the screen is movable and rolls up around a center core at the top of the window inside a casing. However, I will as the alarm screen guy with I talk to him.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Take a look at the specifications at the bottom of this page:

formatting link
js

Reply to
Carl Carlson

Carl,

Ok, got it. Thanks.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

There's one other possibility. Optex makes an exterior mounted motion detector designed to protect an entire wall. It's called a BX-80N. Here's a link (my website) to detailed information on it.

formatting link
I have customers who have used it with some success. It's not as secure as alarm screens but it will let them keep the specialized screens they have. The price on my website is retail. As a dealer you'll of course get it for less from your distributor. If you need a better source for Optex let me know and I'll put you in touch with our supplier. They give us pretty decent prices and support is well, average. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.