DIY recommendations requested

Hi, I'd like some recommendations regarding a DIY alarm system for my house.

I don't want a monitored system, just something that'll sound an alarm in the house if an intrusion is detected. I'd prefer something where the keypad is separate from the main control panel, but I'm open to all suggestions.

I need the system to support wireless sensors for five exterior doors, but I can easily wire the keypad, siren, a motion sensor and a smoke detector to the panel. The closet where I want to put the panel has power for a transformer.

Most of my windows have bars on the outside of the house. Because they do not have inside releases, I'd like to remove them for my own safety. The windows are all steel casement style (15"x11" glass panels) and are probably not real easy to open even if the glass is broken (I've never tried!). I'm not sure if it's worth putting transmitters on each one.

It would be nice to be able to add more wireless devices such as an additional motion and smoke detectors and glass breakage sensors down the road. I'd like a wireless keypad in my bedroom too. Also, I like the idea of integrated X10 support, although it's not a requirement.

What brands/models do you suggest I look at? Any suggestions or comments re: my windows?

Thanks - Steve

Reply to
majiktt
Loading thread data ...

There are several good systems available to DIYers that can fill the bill. Ademco's Vista-20P is reliable, fairly easy to set up and program and has a varied array of transmitters. It's a hybrid system, meaning you can use wired or wireless sensors for any points you need to protect.

Napco's P3200 is more flexible than the Ademco system, but programming is a bit more involved. The up side is Napco's software is free and fairly easy to use with a little guidance. Napco also makes a P1632 which is similar to the P3200 but a little cheaper built and a little cheaper to buy. Like the Ademco Vista-20P, the Napco Gemini panels are hybrid systems. You can use wired or wireless sensors.

Paradox makes an all-wireless system called Magellan which several of my DIY clients have used though I haven't tried it myself. The down side to the Magellan is it's an all-in-one. The control panel is the keypad. One hit with a hammer and it's gone. The same is true of most other all-in-one solutions. These are mainly used for apartments where the landlord might not permit a DIYer to install a hard-wired system.

DSC's Power832 is another hybrid that's popular among some here though the company's quality control seems to have gone downhill since Tyco took them over.

I sell these systems to DIYers in my online store at

formatting link
in case you're interested.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The DSC PC-5020 (Power 864) will more than fit your bill. It offers X-10 support, and up to 64 zones that can be either wired or wireless (or a combination of both). The programming is relatively simple (it's one of the easiest systems to program from the keypad). There are a number on online resources through which you can obtain information. The manufacturer maintains a website at

formatting link
Have a browse through the different user manuals and you'll get a feel for how powerful the system really is. Comments regarding their quality control should be taken with a huge grain of salt (consider the source). We've installed dozens of these units (as well as the DSC PC-5010) with nary a hiccup.

As to your windows, there are two schools of thought. I prefer installing perimeter type systems. These are designed with protecting the residents while they're home and offer the most flexibility. You already recognize the benefits of a hybrid system as it is easily expandable to meet your budge and you can get a fairly decent system to start with without laying out a huge amount of cash.

There are a number of online dealers that handle this DSC, but my strongest recommendation would be to purchase it locally. That way you don't have to worry about shipping charges back to the factory in the event you do have a problem and you'll have more success with actual technical help if you're calling someone in the same city than trying to get a hold of someone in another state.

The second advantage to using someone "local" is that you can call them in to help you with your wiring (expect to pay a premium if you don't want it monitored, though). If you are going the online route to purchase your product, I'd suggest reading this:

formatting link
Several other online stores I've heard good things about (they actually do answer their tech support lines):

formatting link
There are lots more out there I haven't listed. Good luck!!

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Just went through this and got good prices and great service (technical support) from:

formatting link

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Hey Steve,

I recently saw your post on this board. I wanted to let you know about a great product that from your message, sounds like a match. X10 Makes a product called the Protector Plus. Check it out at

formatting link

It is unmonitored, therefore has no fees, or false alarm charges. You can program it to call you when the alarm goes off along with 3 other contacts. The alarm has a siren that is 95 decibels, and can be upgraded to 105db.

It comes with 2 keypads, one standard remote, and another keychain keypad. Both have arm/disarm, panic, and security light options.

The whole system is wireless! You can add additional components to your

desire. That means many motion sensors, and door sensors. You can even add remotes.

You really can go as big or as little as you like, very customizable. Add on options can be found here...

formatting link

Hopefully this helps... Any Input is appreciated.

Owen

X10SecurityTeam

formatting link

Reply to
odoggy4

That stuff is below junk

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I take it by that statement you mean you won't find it in Rojas garage? :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.