Ademco Vocabulary Mishmash

I am currently using a LYNXR with several wireless 5828V wireless voice keypads and am replacing the LNNXR with a Vista 20P/6160RF. There are several different limited vocabulaies within the Ademco product line and navigating the common subsets can be a PITA. At first glance, it appeared that the numbers "one", "two", etc were common to all the devices listed above, but I can't get numbers to ennunciate with the new panel, and it appears that the Vista 20P uses "1", "2", etc, which is not the same as "one", two". Apparently, only "1st", "2nd", "3rd" are common. Is that correct?

When using the Vista 20P and 5828V, am I limited to the words with an asterist in the Vista 20P manual on page 30? The manual mentions the 4286 phone module and 6150V/6160V voice keypads, but I don't see the reference to the 5828V wireless voice keypad in the Vista 20P vocabulary listing.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser
Loading thread data ...

The 5828V only speaks these words period

ALARM DINING KITCHEN POOL UTILITY ATTIC DOOR LAUNDRY ROOM WINDOW BABY EMERGENCY LIBRARY SHED YARD BACK FIRE LIVING SHOP ZONES BASEMENT FLOOR MAIN SIDE BATHROOM FRONT MASTER SLIDING BEDROOM GARAGE MESSAGE SMOKE CHECK GUN MOTION STORAGE 1ST DEN HALL OFFICE SYSTEM 2ND DETECTOR INSIDE PATIO UPSTAIRS 3RD

Which is one of the reasons why I hate the things

Reply to
mleuck

Thanks for the quick response, but your list is missing some words. Paired with the LYNX, the 5828V will also say ONE, TWO, THREE (which is distinct from 1ST, 2ND, 3RD). That's why the thing is so confusing. The 5828V vocabulary changes depending upon the panal.

Yeah, I hear ya. Very limited vocabulary and complicated Venn diagram when paired with various panels.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

A Vtech $5 child's toy can speak alot more words than the best Honeywell system can. I have asked Honeywell over the years to add a voice syn circuit that would pronounce anything you freely type in.

We will have to wait until limited AI technology is $1 for the chip before Honeywell will consider adding it to their higher end panels.

Everything Honeywell makes is either hijaack from a competitor, or is built 4 times larger than it needs to me...not very good business practices from a company that boasts on being the industry leader...

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

They have the lack of use feature in the lynx i would like to see in hard wired panels as well it is amazing how a simple DSC 1616 has ten times the features and half the price of a vista low end panel.

Reply to
nick markowitz

I built a system that alerts me with chimes when outdoor sensors (e.g. motion PIR, open gate, open mail box) are faulted. Here are my system requirements:

1. Must support wireless sensors
  2. Must support wireless voice keypads
  3. Must support voice chime that identifies the faulted zone
  4. Must support output triggers

The LYNX/5828V support 1-3 and has been working quite well. Vocabulary is extremely limited, but adequate for my needs.

I am testing the Vista20P/6160RF/5828V to add requirement 4. The vocabulary seems to be even more limited, but I have not found the documentation that explicitly details the vocabulary.

Which other panels support requirements 1-4?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Does anyone know if Apex is still around??

Reply to
Jim

Apex is also owned by Honeywell. Last I heard they killed the entire product line...

formatting link

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

Apex is Dead Killed it 2 years ago RIP

Reply to
nick markowitz

What about Elk and that fancy panel they have. for vocabulary

Reply to
nick markowitz

Elk is still around. But who knows for how long in this economy.

formatting link

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

They aren't the only ones, GE has a lousy vocabulary for the Simon but a decent set for the Concord. I'd be happy if Honeywell could do all the same spoken words they do with standard alpha keypad text. Honeywell's problem is the panel architecture is not much different than what Ademco started back in the early 90's. Everyone else (DSC, Napco, ITI/GE) has move to an upgraded platform except for Honeywell which is fine until you want to do something really out there.

The big issue is price points, when you have companies (ADT as well as tons of small companies Mr Campbell) who decide on a panel line based on a dollar or two difference in price this is what you get. It takes a number of small companies (cough 2GIG cough Alarm.com cough) to get real improvements which ARE currently in the pipeline.

Reply to
mleuck

That may be so but DSC is way behind the times when it comes to remote and Video services that GE and Honeywell have. Also DSC lacks things like some zone and output configurations that a low-end 15P can easily do at nearly the same price.

(And I started with DSC)

Reply to
mleuck

Does Elk have wireless voice keypads similar to the 5828V?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

I was just going to say why are you dealing with a low-end panel like the Lynx in the first place? Just about any low-end hybrid panel will do what you need far better.

Reply to
mleuck

Nope, discontinued a couple of years ago, I hated programming those panels

Reply to
mleuck

Their stuff isn't designed for low-end mass market anyway

Reply to
mleuck

Can you name one or two I should consider? Thanks in advance.

On a related question, the Vista 20P will only be used for outdoor chimes. No smokes. The factory default has fire on zone 1. Is it OK to delete this zone, or will this cause problems with other factory defaults? In the initial testing yesterday the panel seemed to be working, but has a CO TROULBE today.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Regarding the CO TROUBLE, apparently my attempts to programmatically disable Zone 01 where not adequate. I put an EOL resistor across Zone 01 and that seems to have resolved the problem. Just curious, is it possible to programmatically disable Zone 01 on a Vista 20P?

Best, Christopher

NOTE: This panel is only being used as a voice chime. Please don't send hate mail because I'm trying to disable a fire zone. :)

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

As best I can determine, when attatched to the Vista 20P, the 5828V can say any word that is in both the vocabulary of the 5828V and Vista 20P, and is not, for example, limited to the words available to the Vista20p/6160V as indicated on page 30 of the Vista 20P installation manual. For example, according the documentation, the 6160V can not say YARD (as indicated by no asterist), but the 5828V can. Or, perhaps the 6160V can say YARD and there is a typo in the manual. I don't have a 6160V and can't test that. I don't see any other similar exceptions.

When the 5828V is connected to a LYNX, the words CHECK, ONE, TWO, and THREE are available. These words are not available with the Vista20P/6160RF/5828V combination.

These exceptions notwithstanding, I think all other words in the master list above are available in both the LYNX/5828V and Vista20P/6160RF/5828V combinations. Of course, as Murphy would have it, I had used all four words CHECK, ONE, TWO, and THREE with the LYNX, and now must use something else. :)

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.