Rokonet versus GE

I am sifting through all the info I can find on wireless systems and have narrowed the field to the Wisdom (Rokonet) or GE (Simon lll). The system is going to be installed the Caribbean (Antigua). Which of the units is most reliable and what are the pros and cons to each. The sytem will be monitored by an security firm. Ok guys, go at it. :)

Reply to
gevetri
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Roland

I would go with ITI because they offer a broad range of wireless devices. The Simon 3 is small, and easy to operate.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

which ever you pick, i'd make sure it's pc board is coated with a water proofer.. or coat them with wax. that salt air will do a number on open copper if left untreated.. RTS

Reply to
Rocky T Squirrel

What I did not like about ITI is their motion detectors are outfitted with 1-1.5V alkaline battery while the Rokonet units are 3V lithiums.

Reply to
gevetri

Reply to
gevetri

Reply to
gevetri

I don't know what your budget is but you might want to look at this gear.

formatting link
my experience it has been top of the line.

Reply to
Roland Moore

No they do make motions with lithium batteries, several in fact

Reply to
Mark Leuck

In the far past we used some candle wax but I think they now have a non-conductive spray-on sealer you can use. Note the word NON-Conductive...

Best of luck on the system.. RTS

Reply to
Rocky T Squirrel

Your right, missed that the first time around.

Reply to
gevetri

Nice stuff, but I'm trying to stay with an all in one unit.

Reply to
gevetri

Go for the Simon, its a proven and reliable panel

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I know which model you were talking about and oddly enough even on that one they have a version with 1 lithium battery instead of the normal 2 alkalines, I've run into them several times and GE doesn't seem to mention them

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Reply to
gevetri

ITI's wireless transmitters are fairly good at getting through. You should have no problem with this application.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The alkalines were designed to be cheaper and allow replacing by the customer, they have slightly less transmission power and a slightly larger frequency range BUT they are still excellent sensors.

As far as the concrete wall I couldn't tell you but any sensor will have problems in some areas, the only thing you can do is a sensor test before installation, GE panels have some of the best built-in sensor tests out there

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I have WiFi on the property. I know it's not the same frequency, but I think it's close. I lose some signal strength but the computer still works well. Does that give me an indication that the security system would be about the same? As far as the Lithium batteries, they are easily replaceable aren't they?

Mark Leuck wrote:

Reply to
gevetri

formatting link
you go to the above site and look at page 9 for the FA715 wireless survey kit you might have some of your questions answered.

Reply to
Roland Moore

-The frequency is not even close, the lithiums aren't a common type

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.