Re: Ping: Jim (Napco PCI-Mini)

I learned long ago to have a Brazilian, preferably someone from the local city so the accent is the same, get prices on everything from car rental to hotels. I get treated better than most turistas because I speak Portuguese (well, enough to get by). But there's a sharp drop-off when it comes to negotiating prices.

There's a good reason we're over-charged. In Brazil, as in all third world nations, people believe that all Americans are extremely wealthy. Considering my weekly income is about equal to what the average Brazilian makes in 15 months, there's some justification for the belief. BTW, that doesn't mean I'm wealthy -- just that they're terribly poor.

Even what we normally give as tips is astronomical to Brazilians. At one popular restaurant in Sarasota dinner for two costs about $60, not including tax, drinks or tip. Add a few martinis (or whatever) and the tab is close to $100. If service is good, the average American will give the waiter $20 or more. For a "well paid" Brazilian waiter that's two days' pay. You really can't blame people in poor nations for trying to get whatever they can out of some gringo rico.

Any time I visit a new city I study street maps and visitor info online first. That way I know where the fun places are, what parts of town to avoid and how to get from A to B. Once in a while a taxi driver will try to take me via a circuitous route to run up the fare. I just tell them in Portugues, "Please don't take me for a ride and I will take care of you." When I get out I give a

50% tip, which amounts to an extra US$3-4. Invariably the cabby will proffer a business card and ask me to call his cell phone any time I need a ride. That's a very small gesture of gratitude for an American but it's a real nice thing for the local guy.

OTOH, when negotiating with hoteliers and realtors I try not to give up an inch. They're all crooks and most are richer than you or me. I'm sure Jim can tell similar stories about his favorite island haunts. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

Even civilian cops like the woman who took down the Ft Hood terrorist? I didn't realize that.

I think every LEO should have the right to carry any place he goes except on an airplane. The only people I want armed on airplanes are undercover federal officers, the pilot and first officer.

Could be.

That sounds like the NYC Subway Police. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

=EF=BF=BDI didn't

To elimiate there ever being another hijacking and there never being another passenger who gets out of line, and providing the most secure and placid passengers, I like Archie Bunkers solution much better.

Every passenger should be issued a firearm.

Reply to
Jim

Naah. Just require everyone to eat a half rack of pork ribs before boarding. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

With bean soup.

Reply to
Jim

I'm just thinking, that's pretty funny.

Everyone would be so busy lined up for the rest rooms or digging their fingernails into the seat in front of them or finding unique uses for the barf bags ..... Even if there were hijackers aboard, they'd be too afraid to start anything for fear of literally scaring the s.... t out of everyone.

Reply to
Jim

That's not it. They don't eat pork.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"Robert L Bass" wrote in news:S46dnauQirJ81GLXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

True, but it would add propultion

Reply to
motley me

Hmmm, it would seem to me that for the cause, they could willfully eat pork. There's no known cure for for a bowl of my mothers bean soup.

Reply to
Jim

I'm not sure. TTBOMK, eating pork means going to hell. Religious crazies (not just crazy Muslims; crazy Christians too) are willing to die for their faith because they believe they'll go to heaven. Crazy Muslims are smarter than crazy Christians though. At least they get a bunch of virgins. Crazy Christians just get a nice, shiny halo.

Addictive or just deadly? :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yep, and they're the nicest bunch of guys you'd ever want to meet.

Only down side is all those Star Wars/Star Trek conventions...

I don't have much respect for anyone (from any religion) who claim to be devout believers but rather than (perhaps they believe 'tediously') living their lives in accordance with their religions, believe they can do what they wish then take a shortcut to heaven by hurting/murdering others.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Yep. It's not limited to religious nutcases either.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Religious crazies (not

rter than crazy

=BDCrazy Christians just

Unfortunately ........... both.

Reply to
Jim

You should send him down to Sarasota. I've got a recipe for bean soup that's out of this world (and doesn't create WMD's... :^))

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.