mini pci card?

Any recommendations for a mini-pci wireless card to add to a notebook that already has the internal antenna? Just go with Intel like everyone else, or is there a better card? Thanks LT

Reply to
LT
Loading thread data ...

"LT" hath wroth:

Most laptop vendors have recommended and tested wireless cards that will work with the laptop. Check the vendors web pile for whatever normally is supplied with the laptop to play it safe. I had a nasty suprise when I tried to cram an Intel 2200BG into a Compaq something

600 laptop. It was too high and wouldn't fit. I chewed away some plastic and foam and made it fit, but it was no fun. One of the u-FL antenna connectors didn't quite fit as the coax cable was a bit short. I had to disassemble the LCD frame to reloate the coax cable.

Also, make sure you have an driver for whatever operating system you're using.

Any particular laptop maker and model or do you go with Dell like everyone else?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Intel 2200bg...........

Reply to
Henry

forgot to add my father had much better success and reception with a PCMCIA wifi card.

Reply to
Henry

Yeah, I like the 2200BG card, and have added it to a couple of clients machines. Not surprised to hear from Jeff that Compaq is different, they've always been a little odd.

Details of the laptop brand, model, OS, etc wouldn't be bad, but given the details you've provided, I'd say go with the 2200BG and the latest Intel drivers.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I would recommend against the Intel cards. They have persistent problems.

Reply to
Jerry Park

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200. I had an Intel 2915abg card but removed it because of poor performance.

Currently using an Atheros card. It works well.

Reply to
Jerry Park

I have a couple of Laptops using the Ralink2500 mini pc card which works very well under XP but as yet I haven't been able to get working under Linux.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

and my Dad replaced his Atheros with a PCMCIA card which is far better...

Reply to
Henry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.