Question about ADT Alarm System Contract

Hello, are based in Toronto, Canada.

We signed a ADT contract 5 years ago with the free installation and have been getting charged monthly every since. I guess my quesiton is, at what point do I own the system? Can I ask to get a newer system or something? How long does this keep going. We haven't heard peep from ADT ever since they installed it.

jj

Reply to
jjgitties
Loading thread data ...

Read your never ending contract...it automatically renews...... There are only certain times you can stop the contract.

Check your system to make sure it works before calling ADT. Send an alarm and see if they call you. Notify the local constables that you're checking the system, so they don't charge you for a false alarm and send out the mounted police.

If ADT doesn't call you or dispatch the police...it's not working and you could be paying for services you're not receiving.

Norm Mugford

Reply to
1alarm

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I don't understand. The term has been fulfilled. Don't I get a newer system? My system is 5 years old. Logically, there must be something newer that works better.

Reply to
jjgitties

At the end of your first five years, it probably renewed automatically for another five years.....read your contract. If your contract is up...........probably not............then you can start another contract with a new system if that's what your contract allows.

Norm Mugford

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

Usually (not always) contracts renew automajickly after the initial term on a yearly basis...usually you have to cancel in writing 30 days prior to auto-renewal. This varies state by state here in the states...dunno about up in snow country.

I've never seen a contract that gives you a new system after the initial term.

I HAVE seen ADT contracts where you NEVER own the alarm panel even after you have completed the initial term...you own everything else but.

Read the small print...thats the only way to tell for sure.

| > Check your system to make sure it works before calling ADT. | > Send an alarm and see if they call you. Notify the local | > constables that you're checking the system, so they don't | > charge you for a false alarm and send out the mounted police. | >

| > If ADT doesn't call you or dispatch the police...it's not working and | > you could be paying for services you're not receiving. | >

| > Norm Mugford | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Sir, your "free"system actually cost you about $600 including labour, out of the $1800 you have paid so far. Whether you own it at the end of your initial term is a matter of what is written in the contract. My experience with ADT is the system is usually sold as part of the contract, so if that IS the case, you may well own it at the end of the initial term. At that point, you might want to shop for a lower cost dealer (much, much lower...in the range of $15 to $20 monthly.).However, if your term has gone past 60 months, you may or may not be locked in to another contract.I have seen both situations, month to month after the first term or another full five years. What you signed is the key to all your answers (and possibilities)

However, I have never heard of anyone expecting the alarmco to replace the system after a given date whether under a lease or purchase arrangement. ADT might do this but only if you were willing to sign on again for another long term (or simply might not be willing to do it if the equipment is still serviceable, as the case may be....)

Sorry, but that's not likely to happen, unless they choose to do so because for some reason they can no longer maintain it properly. Our business doesn't work that way. In the past, I have changed out the client's panel and keypad to get the ongoing monitoring business, but that often ends up as a losing proposition (what looks like an easy changeout ends up being a labour intensive nightmare.....)

As Crash indicated, best to read your fine print....

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, > Hello, are based in Toronto, Canada.

Reply to
tourman

I've yet to see a contract renew for 5 Years, though I have seen clauses were the monitoring cost/contract rolls over for 60 day increments and cancellation clause with 30 days written notice. As tourman alluded to You paid 3 times the amount of what you got.. I'd pull out the panel and let them come and pick it up.., better yet ask for a history report (this may cost a few $$) if they can't produce one.. here's your out, and argument can be made that the system has possibly been malfunctioning and you were never notified.. see where I'm going with this.... Best policy, call them and see what they say, they may offer to replace/upgrade equipment at no cost... ha ha make that differed cost

Reply to
Pogo

. The term has been

why would you EXPECT a newer system???? do you GET a newer car after 5 years?? do you GET a newer tv? you GOT what you paid for.... want something newer?? sign a new contract or BUY something newer

Reply to
BDEBJ

But, but,...alarm systems are supposed to be free....right? js

Reply to
alarman

my car was free, all i had to do is sign a contract to buy gas from Ford for

99 years.

| >

| >

| > why would you EXPECT a newer system???? | > do you GET a newer car after 5 years?? | > do you GET a newer tv? | > you GOT what you paid for.... | > want something newer?? sign a new contract or BUY something newer | | But, but,...alarm systems are supposed to be free....right? | js | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

well, i had to ask.

Reply to
jjgitties

thanks for the good advice and feedback. I guess I will start shopping around for a new security alarm system + company.

any tips on how to find a good one? jj

Reply to
jjgitties

I get a new cell phone every 2 years if I continue with the same operator. I get a new car every 4 years if I continue to lease with the same dealership. I received a new Internet modem with cable ISP since I subscribed last 5 years ago.

Reply to
R-Guy

Why? Was ADT bad to you?

Check around your area, ask your neighbors, friends, relatives who they use. You will most likely get better service from a small reputable company then one of the megas. Usually ADT equipment is "take-over-able", but some isn't so tell that to whomever you call what kind of equipment you have...open the box and write down the make/model number.

| > | > . The term has been | > | >> fulfilled. Don't I get a newer system? My system is 5 years old. | > | >> Logically, there must be something newer that works better. | > | >>

| > | >

| > | >

| > | > why would you EXPECT a newer system???? | > | > do you GET a newer car after 5 years?? | > | > do you GET a newer tv? | > | > you GOT what you paid for.... | > | > want something newer?? sign a new contract or BUY something newer | > | | > | But, but,...alarm systems are supposed to be free....right? | > | js | > | | > | | | thanks for the good advice and feedback. I guess I will start shopping | around for a new security alarm system + company. | | any tips on how to find a good one? | jj |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Do you get a new house when your old mortgage is paid up too?

| > . The term has been | >> fulfilled. Don't I get a newer system? My system is 5 years old. | >> Logically, there must be something newer that works better. | >>

| >

| >

| > why would you EXPECT a newer system???? | > do you GET a newer car after 5 years?? | > do you GET a newer tv? | > you GOT what you paid for.... | > want something newer?? sign a new contract or BUY something newer | >

| >

| | I get a new cell phone every 2 years if I continue with the same operator. | I get a new car every 4 years if I continue to lease with the same | dealership. | I received a new Internet modem with cable ISP since I subscribed last 5 | years ago. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

There are quite a few good tips collected here:

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

There are quite a few good tips collected here:

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.