replacing GEM-KEYF Wireless Keyfob Remote

Here is my situation. My neighbors broke one of their two GEM-KEYF Wireless Keyfob Remotes. The alarm company they originally used is no longer in business so they want to get a new wireless remote. If I purchase this for them can it be programed like a universal remote can be or must they be able to get into the panel. Since the original company is no longer in business I assume getting the panel code is not an option.

Thanks for the help.

Steven

Reply to
Ziggy
Loading thread data ...

You didn't say what model panel you have, but regardless, you need access to the dealer programing. Try the default codes. You may be lucky and find that they were never changed.

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
Roland

If the panel is a Napco Gemini P3200 or a P9600 the dealer programming code is printed on a label inside the master control panel. The label is affixed to the metal cover that protects the main (replaceable) chip. Some alarm companies remove the label to keep customers from accessing the program. If yours was removed, the chip can be replaced easily. They're not expensive.

If it's a lesser level panel, the default programming access code is usually 456789. This may have been changed. If it's changed the panel can be defaulted by J Rojas or Bob Campbell (both are regulars here) or the board can be replaced. The panels are not expensive.

Note: If you replace the master chip, be sure to align the replacement chip correctly. Sometimes the printed label is upside down. If you install the chip wrong you can damage it. To be sure it's right, feel for an indent in the surface of the chip underneath the label. It must be positioned toward the left side of the panel. Use standard precautions for handling a CMOS chip. Power down (battery and transformer) first and touch the panel ground *before* you pick up the chip.

Replacing the chip does not erase panel programming. It gives you a new code which you will need to access programming. You can program the panel by keypad (slow and error prone) or by PC (quick and less error prone). PC programming requires the software (free download) and a dongle called a PCI-MINI (retail ~$21) for use with a serial port or a PCI-MINI-USB (retail ~$70) for use with a USB port.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.