Programming a Napco GEM-P816

I am looking to reprogram my Napco GEM-P816 for the GEM-X10 module. I have version 10 of the firmware, so the GEM-X10 module will work with my unit.

I believe I have the GEM-RP3DGTL keypad. Programming the GEM-P816 with this unit seems pretty involved. In the manual, they state: "It is recommended that the panel be uploaded to NAPCO's PCD-Windows software following any keypad programming and that the PCD3000's error-check feature be utilized to reduce the possibility of programming omissions or conflicts."

I know Napco makes a PCI-MINI Programming Adaptor Kit which connects into a "J3 Port"

formatting link
believe the port used to configure the GEM-P816 is labeled as "JP2 - PCD LOCAL DOWNLOAD CONNECTION".

1) Is this port the same thing as the "J3 Port"? Will this Adaptor kit work with the GEM-P816 (firmware version 10)?

The link I provided at Basshome also says it comes with "Napco's Quickloader Windows Programming software".

2) Is this the same as the "PCD LOCAL DOWNLOAD CONNECTION"?

3) Exactly what "events" can the X10 module send out commands for? I understand the GEM-X10 looks the same as an expansion relay module to the GEM-P816, so I would assume that anything I can get to trigger a relay I could get to send an X10 command. If this is the case, exactly what events can I trigger a relay for? For example, can I trigger an event for any of the following:

- Zone 6 has been opened - Zone 10 has been closed - Entry delay timer triggered for Zone 1 - Code entered incorrectly into Keypad 2 - Alarm sounded - Alarm armed - Alarm disarmed - 10 second have gone by in entry delay - All zones have been closed

Thanks in advance! Ken

Reply to
yeahprolly
Loading thread data ...

Hi Ken,

I own Bass Home Electronics.

The P816 can be programmed using either the PCI-MINI or the PCI-MINI-USB. If your PC or laptop has serial port use the standard PCI-MINI since it's cheaper.

You don't need the PCD-2000, etc.

The software is a free download. Call me if you need assistance.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

If your PC or laptop has serial port use the standard

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

00hsh.googlegroups.com...

Thanks Robert.

Do you have personal experience with the GEM-X10 unit? Do you know if it can do the things I asked about?

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
yeahprolly

You're most welcome.

While I've installed lots of Napco systems over the years, I've only used the GEM-X10 a few times (primarily because I don't like X10). However, you are correct that the GEM-X10 board looks like a relay board to Napco. Note that this is not the same as the on-board relays on Napco control panels. Those have very different options.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I can't say for sure, since I only use the "upper end" Napco panels, however, my intuition says that about the only thing from your list you could 'expect' get from the 816 via X10 would be alarm sounding. I say that based on the fact that you can't get some of the above functions from the 1632.

I also have to say that in spite of what you've been told here, I do know that if the P816 doesn't /didn't have relay control capability, it wont have the ability to work with the Napco X10 module. And from what (little) I remember about the P816, it doesn't have relay control. I could be wrong because of revisions to the panel since I last reviewed it, but it doesn't seem to make sense to give such a small panel that ability since it would become a virtual P1632.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.