Veritas 8C - needs a complete reset.

Hi all,

Excuse my ignorance but I dont know much about alarms having never installed one. Ive moved into a new house and there is a veritas 8c alarm on the wall. When I went to view the house the alarm wasnt set, when I moved in it went off! The estate agent doesnt seem capable of getting the code from the vendor and Ive been waiting 2 weeks now with a beeping alarm.

Is it possible to drain the power on the NVM or to reset the panal back to the default settings and enter my own user code..? Its only a DIY installation.

Cheers Rolf

Reply to
rolf
Loading thread data ...

Yes it is possible to reset to factory default, but as there are different versions of this panel and it will need reprogramming after defaulting, I would advise you get a local installer / engineer to do this for you.

Reply to
Paul Ekins

Thanks for the help..I'm hoping I can reprogram it myself..its quite a small setup and I have managed to get the installation manual which has lots of help and clear guidence except for the question of resetting the panel! Its a veritas 8 compact.

Im still hoping that the estate agent will come good with the code and resetting it is a last resort and if it goes wrong I can then get an alarm guru out to reprogram it.

So if anyone can provide the reset sequence I'd appreciate it.

Rolf

Reply to
rolf

The installation manual does state this;

"If the Engineer code has been lost, provided it has not been locked (section 3.2.2, page 21) power down the system (mains and battery). Restore power. All the indicator lights will illuminate for 10 seconds. Press RESET or SLOWLY press and release the panel lid tamper spring 3 times, before the indicator lights turn off. The factory settings have now been re-loaded into the Non Volatile Memory."

But doesnt mention if this resets the user key code as well..I just want my alarm to stop beeping =)

Thanks Rolf

Reply to
rolf

Incidentally Im still hopeful the estate agent will come good with the code, but if not I'll reset it as a last resort and then if it all goes horribly wrong I can get an alarm guru in to reprogram it.

Cheers Rolf

Reply to
rolf

It sounds like this is the way to do a factory reset. If the installer code has not been locked, it will come back in it's factory fresh programming mode with the factory default user and installer code. If the board is "locked", you're board is "toast". You'll have to contact J. Rojas on this ng and he can assist in unlocking it for you.

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Thanks very much for the replies....fingers crossed the engineers code has not been locked...why would someone do that on a small domestic installation?

There are no diamonds in this house heheh! I just want it to wake me up if there is a fire or if someone is crawling around downstairs.

I will post and let you know how it went.

Thanks again Rolf

Reply to
rolf

Sir, there are several reasons why it is done, some legitimate, some not so !

If your alarm was originally installed under one of these "free system" arrangements, or was in some manner not fully paid for at the front end, the alarmco still owns the panel and has every right to lock the board against physical theft. However, once fully paid for, it should have been unlocked (I myself have lost one board due to theft early on in my installation stage)

ALL companies change the installer code to protect proprietary information and other information that affects how and where the panel dials upon alarms or troubles being generated. But if the board is not locked, it too goes back to factory default settings along with everything else when the board is defaulted. But if the panel is locked, usually either nothing happens, or (like DSC) everything BUT the installer code goes back, making the panel even useless for local mode use.

There are however a sizeable minority of alarmco's that lock a board simply to keep the homeowner from changing monitoring suppliers without making the new company go to the extra expense of changing out the board. This is the use of the lockout feature that is purely vindictive and punitive, and has no ethical validity.

If you wish further detail, see the following page:

www3.sympatico.ca/rh.campbell/installer_lockout.htm

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.