Pro 1....oh brother !

We took over a Pro 1 account the other day. I told the client to make sure to cancel monitoring in writing first...no problem he did and they let him go.

System was programmed for Daily Test Signal, but NO digit was programmed to be sent...interesting. So we reprogram and go to send signals...nothing...hmmm...no dial tone at panel. Ok....lets find out whats going on here....we go outside and there are two SNI's one has dialtone the other doesn't. Interesting.

So I ask the client when the phone company put up the "new" SNI....lets see that was just before my husband died 4 YEARS ago. WHAT? Yeah thats right client had been paying for monitoring for over

4 YEARS and received nothing in return. She kinda thought is was weird last year when the smoke detectors went off (she was vacuuming out the fireplace...another no-no) and she had to call THEM. I guess they have a weird way of monitoring clients...if you have an alarm you call them, then they dispatch...and lets not say anything about not getting a signal...or lets not even send a tech out to check why!

So we re-routed the panel line to the "new" SNI and all works.

THEN...today I'm double checking programming (its an old monster

4140XMPT2) with Compass and now I know why that rear master bedroom door wasn't Chiming!...Yep it was programmed as a INTERIOR DELAY zone...what????? Are you kidding me a door directly into the old lady's bedroom from the back yard is an interior delay zone!....holy shit.

Unreal.

Reply to
Crash
Loading thread data ...

And the keypad never gave a fail to communicate trouble??? How does that happen??

Reply to
ABLE1

does not surprise me i see this kind of shit all the time with take overs. even on commercail side they never check signals put everything on delay etc etc.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Par for the course around here. I've seen some amazing shit while taking over their systems.

Reply to
alarman

Isn't the 4140XMP an Ademco panel, or a rebranded one? That would explain it.

I always thought it was odd that there's nothing to alert you to a siren failure or a loss of phone line. Even recognizing a new panel battery can take up to 4 hours on some of the vistas.

- Chris

Reply to
CH®IS

Oh, yes. Now I remember why there are no Ademco panels in my stockroom.

Reply to
alarman

So that she could have the house stay armed and still go out for a smoke?

Security vs. convenience. Sometimes you can't win.

- Chris

Reply to
CH®IS

We have two Vista 20 kits at the office. They've both been there for about

4 years now, maybe 5. Never out of the box.

Hopefully one day I'll finally get to throw them out... or use them as power supplies.

Despite DSC's debugging program (installers going crazy), I'll stick with them.

- Chris

Reply to
CH®IS

I see this all the time with companies that do slam-in installs and/or takeovers. They travel quite a distance to take over some accounts and have no one local to service them. They gamble that the customer won't have issues that require service, and they stack the deck in their favor by not having a timer test. They know that one of these customers needing service basically means they are going to lose the account, because they have no intentions of providing service.

I had a guy who let one of these companies take over two A*T accounts he had, and install a third. They installed a simon and ran the phone line to an existing jack, and just tied it in with no line seizure. The sad part was the jack had a cat3 that went to the telco box and had unused pairs that could have been used for line seizure. Long story short, 2 years later the guy can't get the company to come fix a problem with a door sensor. They call me in, and I found out the systems weren't communicating since he switched phone service 1 month after the original takeover. Because there was no timer test this company was able to collect monitoring for 2 years on non-working alarms before the customer found out.

These guys aren't dumb, they know with the lack of timer test combined with the fact that a lot of people don't even use the system means they can collect monitoring for years on a system that isn't communicating.

That's okay, there's a special place in hell for these guys.

Reply to
Nomen Niesco

It does, she just ignored it

Reply to
mleuck

Does DSC have talking modules similar to the Ademco LYNX that can chime the name of the zone?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

If it's old enough (and that panel is) it could have been a company purchased by P1 ages ago, that model wasn't one they normally installed back in the day

Reply to
mleuck

I seriously doubt the problem with this one is the hardware

Reply to
mleuck

At least most of the new panels Honeywell sells has the siren and telephone warning but you still like most other panels have ability to not turn it on. they still sell the 4140 because so many dealers can install nothing else same with the FBII XL2T because they refuse to get involved with downloading and computers.or learn any thing new.

the early panels did lack a lot but with the P series there has been a good improvement including logging capability.scheduling etc. I use the Honeywell products because they are one of the few that hold up in industrial settings. and i refuse to get locked into a dealer item like Bosch ,DMP etc. amazing how many places you put alarms in and they never use them and that goes for cameras as well there only in there because insurance requires them.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Honeywell/StreetSmart makes a VSM speaker module that works with DSC

Reply to
mleuck

Reply to
mleuck

I think they long ago discontinued the 4140, it lives on in the Vista-40 tho. FBII is gone too

We monitor several hundred thousand Honeywell/Ademco panels, can't think of any problems with a particular model. DSC on the other hand...dare I mention Envoy?

Reply to
mleuck

There is but it wasn't programmed.

Reply to
Crash

Donate them to me.

Reply to
Crash

It was originally installed by Multimedia, then taken-over by Pro 1. It's an overly-extensive install so they probably didn't really check everything. There was pretty good documentation in the panel. What was really dumb was the panels were in a closet about 12' from a scuttle hole....all the zones were made up up in the attic and brought down via multiconductor to the panels. Totally dumb, why not bring all those wires down to where you can work on them in air conditioned space (where the masking tape labels don't fall off)...masking tape?...idiots.

Reply to
Crash

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.