oye

Things you can do with a dead moose...or live Elk

formatting link

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

Lookit the batteries on that thang. Bet it kin haul the mail.

Reply to
shotgun boogie

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

Yeah. I heard they were going to call the new product line ... Deer Products.

Reply to
Jim

Might as well call it dead deer as far as im concerned. fool me once shame on them fol me twice shame on me.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

It isn't Deer Products yet, but it's still dear pricing.

Reply to
Just Looking

Know what you mean its pricey .Do not have many residential customers so i have not looked at it too hard especially since i do not see UL mark on it any where would never concider it for commecrail market.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

They had a new all wireless home system in a booth seperate from the regular Elk display, I've seen a similar system made by Ness called SecurityGuard II from Australia

I played with that system 5 years ago, they did a smart thing keeping it away from the main booth

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The separation of ELK Products from Systems Depot is probably being done to pave the way for ADI to carry ELK Products. Several years ago at EH Expo (or was it ISC?) I asked Wade Moose if ADI was going to carry ELK Products. He said ADI told him they would carry ELK if he divested himself of Systems Depot. He said he responded, "I'll do it as soon as you [ADI, not me] stop carrying Ademco." I thought that was pretty funny at the time. Wade Moose has always been somewhat of a maverick, actively supporting DIY, creating all kinds of innovative stuff that other alarm manufacturers didn't bother with, etc.

My guess is he's decided to cave in to ADI. They are by far the biggest distributor in the trade and can probably move more ELK Products than Systems Depot. Anyway, that's just a guess. I hope I'm wrong. They're pretty rough on their vendors.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The ELK-M1G system is UL listed for residential use. It isn't intended for commercial fire or burglary though it can be used to accomplish some pretty advanced functions in a commercial setting. It is indeed expnsive compared to, say, a Honeywell Vista residential panel but it's much more powerful. If you were doing a lot of HA jobs, you might consider it a low cost alternative.

I sell a lot of ELK-M1G home automation systems online to DIYers. They're remarkable panels.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
Roland More

I remember not that long ago when it seemd like every time I called ADI they told me they no longer carried a line I used. Of course I thought it was funny as all get out when Napco sent us all letters informing us they were telling ADI to kiss off.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

When that happened, I told the local ADI manager that they were going to lose about half my business just because ADI didn't know how to treat their vendors. As it turns out they lost more than half because now I pick up other mfg parts at the Napco distributor .... just to save a trip to ADI. I presume, I'm not the only one. (So now ADI will just have to do without my $72.00 a year.)

I give Napco a lot of credit for making that decision. There were a number of " unknowns" that they couldn't factor in, to project the results of their decision but apparently it's working ok for them.

Reply to
Jim

He thinks so

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Not quite. There are links to all authorized ELK Products distributors, "eTailers", etc., there. I've known Wade for many years but we're not social pals -- just business. He's an interesting person -- smart as a whip; good sense of humor; innovative mind. Unfortunately, he's had some significant health issues. He apparently respects me since he has personally referred a number of people to me. From that I conclude he's a poor judge of character. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Napco is another industry maverick. They don't follow or copy any of the big players though they did get suckered by ADT into developing an unmarketable "code free" alarm system.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You aren't referring to the Freedom 64 are you?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

it's so unmarketable they built a larger version of it called the Freedom-65

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I assume he was talking about the Freedom-8, I've got a 64 and the concept does look interesting

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Duh, Freedom-64, based on a GEM-P1664

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.