Do you have a dead Toshiba PCX2200?

It appears that my occasional problems with my PCX2200 involve the RF connector. I've tried changing the cable, but that made no difference.

When the modem starts to act up (massive packet loss when pinging my default gateway), I've discovered that I can reach over and generally mess with that connector, and it will start working ok again. Sometimes, I can "fix" it by unscrewing the connection several turns and just leaving it that way.

If I set up Ping to do 50 or so in succession, I can see it stop losing packets as I unscrew the cable. At other times, I can fix it by screwing the cable back in, at least part of the way. But none of these fixes last very long.

Well I've taken the modem apart (those tamper-proof torx screws were a bitch), and it seems the connector in question is inside a completely-enclosed tuner assembly. The tuner appears to have a snap-on top, but it doesn't want to move, and there appear to be things inside the tuner which are soldered into holes in that top.

Has anyone here ever removed the top from that tuner? Did that turn out to be a destructive disassembly? Does anyone have a dead 2200 he could take apart and tell me how I can get to that connector?

Reply to
Peabody
Loading thread data ...

I don't have that model, but two things come to mind.

1. Have you ever heard the phrase, "No user serviceable parts inside"?
  2. Did you happen to mention who owns it?

Good luck with it. :-)

Reply to
Bill M.

I found someone who had taken the 2200 tuner cover off, non-destructively. So that question is answered.

Reply to
Peabody

1. Yes. I've always ignored it.

2. You mean the modem? I do. Free and clear. I paid cash for it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Peabody

Typically the F-connector is part of the tuner's shield. Messing with it will most likely reduce the effectiveness of the shield, which will allow ingress from TV transmitters and local interferers, which will result in reduced performance.

Also, most "can" tuners have coils inside that are hand tuned. Accidentally touching or moving a coil can "de-tune" the tuner's circuits, again resulting in reduced performance. Just brushing a coil with your finger can move it enough to mess up the tuner. You won't be able to see any difference, but the tuner won't work as well, if at all.

Bottom line, you may be able to "fix" the mechanical problem with the connector while creating more subtle tuner performance problems. If you find your modem doesn't work as well after your "fix," I suggest you toss it and get a new one. If you want to ensure a quality repair, messing around inside a tuner can is something that is best left to an experienced electronics technician.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.