Video/elk/internet

I am trying to determine the components needed to be able to connect to an ELK M1 system remotely and view surveillance cameras on the property. The ELK connection to the INTERNET is clear, but how the video cameras are interfaced is not. I have found a number of stand alone IP-cameras, but that's not what I am looking for. What's the "Missing Link".

Thanks Dennis

Reply to
Dennis
Loading thread data ...

ELK does not currently support a direct link to video cameras. You can of course view IP cameras over your LAN and/or over the Internet as you mentioned. ELK says that there is some intent to build a video support device in the future but it is not scheduled nor is development under way as of yet.

There are ways to interface the ELK system to video in a certain manner though. You could use an IP enabled DVR or HDVR to record and transmit video over the web. If you select a recorder that can do video motion detection (many can) you can connect the DVR's alarm output to one of the ELK inputs, triggering lights, alarms (not necessarily an outside siren unless you really dislike your neighbors:)), etc. The ELK system can be made to send you an email message when motion is detected by the camera system or by any other sensors you connect to the ELK's input zones.

If you have lots of money to spend, you can buy a programmable PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) camera and use the ELK's numerous outputs to point the camera at the suspect area whenever motion or door / window movement is detected.

Tiktaalik roseae apparently, according to everyone except Pat Robertson. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Elk is actually looking at several manufactures for IP cams but has not settled on anything that I'm aware of.

They are looking at a IP Camera Client that will run under Windows CE. To be able to access IP cameras and display the image on a system running Windows CE."

They are wanting to get something that will work with there new touchscreen so I doubt it will be long.

formatting link

Reply to
Brian

Feel free to doubt it will be long but ELK says they have nothing on the drawing board as of yet. Past experience with ELK (I've been an ELK Products dealer since the first day they opened and before that I was a Moose Products dealer when the owner -- Wade Moose -- had the original company) has consistently demonstrated that they do not hurry anything to market. ELK will create an idea, run it by dealers for suggested improvements, create a prototype, run that by dealers at trade shows, add every requested feature they possibly can and then work some more to get the bugs out before releasing the product.

The history of the M1G followed this pattern to the letter. Bear in mind, I'm not in any way faulting ELK here. If more manufacturers were as responsive to dealer input and as careful to get things right as ELK my job would be a lot easier. The down side is that new products would take longer to get to market but if that meant they'd be better engineered and more feature risk I'd be happy to accept the added delay.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Robert,

Thanks for confirming it's not directly supported, and for the possible alternative implementations.

Love the "miss> > I am trying to determine the components needed to be able

Reply to
Dennis

Brian,

Thanks for the c> Elk is actually looking at several manufactures for IP cams but has not

Reply to
Dennis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.