Opinions on the GE Digia-4-160 MPEG-4 DVR

Anyone have expereince with this? It's a GE product and going for about $799 for 4 channels. It uses MPEG-4 which it states is for small applications. I plan to purchase 2 IP cameras and use 1 existing analog camera.

thanks

Reply to
Ned
Loading thread data ...

I haven't had any luck with GE DVRs. I have only used about a dozen or so, but they all have been problem units. Most issues involve some aspect of the PTZ control element.

Reply to
Roland Moore

IP cameras with a generic DVR ???

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I went through two of these one one site. Both failed within a couple months. GE support was almost impossible to reach and of practically no help either time.

They don't support IP cameras, either.

Don't walk away... run.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Thanks. Any thoughts on an IP camera solution for two cameras? Axis offers software that can be loaded onto a PC to handle this for a small site.

Reply to
Ned

We typically use IQEye cameras, although we've used Pelco IPs on a couple of sites where they wanted the smaller domes. IQEye have a few utilities for PC access/control but none I've used that really work as standalone DVR/NVR applications.

We've been using the cameras with VideoInsight

formatting link
and Vigil
formatting link
DVRs. VideoInsight has a standalone IP Server application that may suit your needs; it's licensed on a per-camera basis but I have no idea what the actual cost is.

Both make hybrid systems with IP and analog camera support; VI has 4-,

8-, 16- and 32-channel analog boards, I'm not sure if CAMACC still carries their 4- or 8-channel systems. The integration of IP and analog cameras is a lot cleaner in the Vigil system, but it also costs a lot more. Also, CAMACC only sells the Vigils as complete systems, whereas VI will sell you the components to put in your own existing PC.

I'm sure there's other open-source/freeware/cheapware IP-camera software out there, just nothing that I'm familiar with.

Reply to
Matt Ion

We typically use IQEye cameras, although we've used Pelco IPs on a couple of sites where they wanted the smaller domes. IQEye have a few utilities for PC access/control but none I've used that really work as standalone DVR/NVR applications.

We've been using the cameras with VideoInsight

formatting link
and Vigil
formatting link
DVRs. VideoInsight has a standalone IP Server application that may suit your needs; it's licensed on a per-camera basis but I have no idea what the actual cost is.

Both

Reply to
Matt Ion

Thanks. Any thoughts on an IP camera solution for two cameras? Axis offers software that can be loaded onto a PC to handle this for a small site.

Reply to
Just Looking

It's an "entry level", TCP/IP enabled DVR. That does not mean it supports IP cameras though. It's intended for use with standard analog cameras. The Ethernet port is for real time viewing and reviewing via LAN/Wan or over the Internet.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
Just Looking

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.