Spectra IV not as Data Hardy as Spectra III ???

I can't seem to run 3 cameras off a KBD200A in direct mode with the Spectra IV over a combined wire length of 200'. WHAT? I've got as amany as 5 cameras Spectra IIIs running on one controller on other sites. Is it a change in the cameras? Are the new models more over sensitive? Am I just experiencing a gremlin?

Pelco from one guy to the next seems to be giving inconsistant advice also.

Grrr....

Up until today I've had pretty good luck with them, but somebody here once stated that Pelco are not one of the best PTZ MFGs. Who is?

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Well, I found the problem. My guy had left about a 20' service loop at each camera. I cut out the service loop and they all started working. Wow! Talk about sensitive. Geez. Well... I guess its time to look at some other cameras. At the price of Pelco you would think they would be bullet proof.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well, I found the problem. My guy had left about a 20' service loop at each camera. I cut out the service loop and they all started working. Wow! Talk about sensitive. Geez. Well... I guess its time to look at some other cameras. At the price of Pelco you would think they would be bullet proof.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The ones I've had the fewest problems with are Bosch Envirodomes. The AD PTZs always scare me with the insect problems they introduce, as well as the issues with those snap on teeth for making electrical connection. The factory rep actually snapped off some teeth trying to demonstrate to us how "solid and easy to install" they were. Samsungs are cheap but I have had problems with protocols they say they accept but don't. Panasonic units seem more expensive for what you get, and seem to fail in groups right after the warranty expires. Spectra seems like there is less to them than other units, less robust.

Reply to
Just Looking

That shouldn't matter, was it twisted pair?

Reply to
G. Morgan

22ga Stranded shielded twisted pair. It was the only thing I could figure when it all worked in the end.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Gawd, do I know what ya mean. Them fingers on the contacts suck. And I have a location in San Antonio, TX, and the wasps around there love to live inside the AD domes during the winters around here. And bad thing is they don't come out en masse until the dome is off. You can bang on the dome, loosen the screws, and as soon as the cover drops, they come out in a mass. Not fun...

Reply to
Silicon Sam

I bet Bob La Londe uses the wasp larva in the nest for bait. After he takes the technician to the ER of course.

Gawd, do I know what ya mean. Them fingers on the contacts suck. And I have a location in San Antonio, TX, and the wasps around there love to live inside the AD domes during the winters around here. And bad thing is they don't come out en masse until the dome is off. You can bang on the dome, loosen the screws, and as soon as the cover drops, they come out in a mass. Not fun...

Reply to
Just Looking

22ga TP/S sounds fine for the 200' runs. I wonder if maybe you just fixed a bad termination that was unseen? Glad you got it working.
Reply to
G. Morgan

I don't see how. We were able to operate each camera independently, and even two at a time. There was some kind of conflict between camera 1 and camera 3 on the control circuit. No clue, since cutting out the service loops fixed the problems. Myabe a combination of things and reducing the choke ( I don't see how an 8-10" coil could have much choke affect, but...) affect of the service loops made it work well enough. I know Pelco was sure no help. They kept repeating the same old stuff over and over again, but changing the details from one tech to the next. At one point one of their guys told me I should be using Cat 5 STP like that was the whole problem.

Another told me it was RS422, when it is clearly RS485 when controlling with a keyboard in direct mode whether using P or D protocal.

Yet another tech had me almost convinced I must have a DOA back box.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Are you kidding. I want to get that bait to the river as fresh as possible. In fact I take the tech directly to the river with me as a reward for his or her find. They don't moan to much in the back of the boat if I crank up my iPod loud enough.

Bob La Londe

formatting link

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Wait, don't tell me. You're listening to "Flight of the Bumble Bee" on your iPod?

Reply to
Just Looking

surely not..this was writen by a russian....

if he cant stand french, i bet he despise russian

"Just Looking" a écrit dans le message de news:

47a8d7e7$0$16665$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...
Reply to
Petem

It was written at the time of the Czars, so it's okay. Better dead than Red.

Reply to
Roland Moore

HEY! HEY! Note the last name. I'm an American frog, but still a frog. Actually my branch of the family has been here since about 1680. (French expatriate.)

Reply to
Bob La Londe

That would make you a traitor (according to Bass). :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Wel its good to know, but just to let you know, my family came to america in

1655 with the Cargnan regiment ( a soldier) but he quit after 3 year and started to work on his land..

i am the 10th generation..and I helped to make 2 more ;-)

Reply to
Petem

The French quit fighting? Who'd have thought?

Reply to
Just Looking

Not all of them you bozo!! ;-)

"Just Looking" a écrit dans le message de news:

47aa0385$0$17354$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...
Reply to
Petem

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.