NX-8 ground fault troubles

I have been having problems with some of my NX-8 CF panels with fire supervision modules. Per Tech Support I have re-wired the ground and pipe connections in a number of different ways with the same result. The panel goes into and restores ground fault troubles sometimes every minute. One of the tech support guys told me they were having this problem with many of their panels and have yet to find a sure fire solution. All suggestions will be appreciated.

Reply to
clay_ali
Loading thread data ...

Had the same problem with an NX-8E CF two years ago. Changed the board still had it. Finally after powering down and up a few times it went away and has been stable since.

Reply to
ssokoly

Switch to Napco or Honeywell.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The Napco MA 3000? I wouldn't write home about it. It is the same thing since the early 90's and is going away soon. Honeywell has it own set of problems; different that the NX-8 but equally irritating. The 128ma limit on the SIM loop is one big one. Ground faults that appear when the phone line is connected when programming is another known issue.

If you need a small > >

Reply to
Roland Moore

I never had problems with DSC's Maxsys 4020 system. I have used those a lot with fire installations and used addressable smokes and pulls. The only downfall, you have to buy the bell output box which gives you 2 24VDC bell outputs but it's a separate enclosure. You can have up to 4 of them with a total of 8 bell outputs.

Another thing I like is it's a combo system. Burg, Fire, and Access. I like it but if I needed it for something over 128 addressable zones, I would have to use something else. Other than that, I use a lot of DSC systems. I also go through Security Equipment Supply to get my stuff...

formatting link

M

Reply to
Matthew Stanley

The Maxsys 4020 is not my favorite. Having 45 minute upload and 45 minute downloads times are the start of my issues withatthe panel. Thankfully the

4020 hasn't been made CP-01 compliant so it can no longer be sold in the area I work in and I don't have to worry about it anymore. However the analog loop on that panel can be a dangerous animal. If a 4020 is installed in a place where the RF is not to its liking, that RF (or EMI) will drive it nuts. There is one customer where it took weeks of work, a factory engineer on site, and special parts manufactured to get the system working. A pure nightmare

formatting link

Reply to
Roland Moore

I hear you abou the long download time. Normally I do all programming with my laptop using the PC link. Then if I have to do any type of small changes, downloading is not that bad. I have not had a problem with the AML loops with RF noise. But that dont mean I wont. I also like the part when you have an access system installed, you can have a card activate an output.

A customer wanted some why to show when the employees were on site or not. so what we did was connected 2 PC 4216 Out put modules with a PC4632 LED annunciator. I had it set up so you swiped your card to get in, then you swiped to get out. every time the card was swiped it would trigger an LED by the employee's name. When they left, the LED would go out which ment they were not in the building....

I thought it was kinda neat... However, there was a downside to that.... The system was stupid. It triggered the output each time you swipped... So if you didnt do it right the first time, you could get it out of sync.... You had to look at the board and make sure your light was on or off. They also used this to let the management know when the fire alarm went off, who they should be looking for....(Who showed up for work that day)

Reply to
Matthew Stanley

I have used a PC 4020 with card access. Enrolling users is a giant pain. The PC 4020 isn't real access control, it is what I like to call door control. It is kind of like the Bosch G series. It's just door control. If you do real access control you can do read in read out with increment and decrement controls. You can do it for parking lots to be able to trigger a lot full output for signage. Using virtual inputs with Boolean logic beats using relay circuit boards every time in my opinion .

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.