Problem with Battery Recharging in Lynx-R

I purchased my Lynx-R Panel in 2000 and did not have to replace my internal battery until Feb. 2005. I have had to replace three batterries since that date all under battery warranty replacement with Safemart. I just put in the third replacement battery on Friday and I still can't get the Low Battery message to go away and I have a code of 37 showing on my panel. The previous two batterries lasted about 6-9 months each before the message popped back up.

Do I have a panel problem or am I just getting bad batterries? I have Drawer Replacment battery (WALYNX-RCHB-DRW).

Reply to
Jack
Loading thread data ...

did you do a code+off, code+off?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Crash I did Code + 5 waited 10 seconds then Code + Off. That's what the manual says.

Reply to
Jack

code+off?

RHC: It's a long shot, and I don't know the idiocycracies of this model, but did you check the battery connections. Use a pencil eraser to clean each of the contacts to see if high resistance is causing the problem. I've seen it with conventional alarms.....

Reply to
tourman

tourman, this begs the question how does the battery pack get charged? There is no wire that has to be connected. I just slide the old battery drawer out and slide the new drawer in its place. I then put the screw into the hole at the bottom of the drawer and screw it back in. I can't see where the battery draws its current. Does anyone know how the battery get's its current from the panel?

I also tried Crash's suggestion of Code + Off , Code + Off without any change to the status quo.

Reply to
Jack

RHC: There have to be metal connectors between the battery and the battery contacts somewhere. You might have to look down into the recesses of the battery compartment to see the contact points and use a long pencil with eraser on the end to get at them. Other than that, there may be a fuse somewhere inside the unit that controls connection to the battery and it may be dead.

Reply to
tourman

With the battery removed, check the voltage across the gold tabs. If you get nothing, either your unit uses plain alkaine batteries as a backup, or the charging circuit is dead.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

There is an open battery slot next to the six batterries that came with the pre-installed battery replacement drawer. The slot says 9V battery with a + at the bottom. Does another battery have to go in this slot? I tried to place a square 9V in this slot but it's too thick to fit in the slot and there is a slight amount of glue that's extending into the empty 9V slot.

Reply to
Jack

Jim, I have no way to check the voltage as I don't have a voltmeter. However, I will get a pencil and clean off the contacts at the bottom of the battery drawer to see, if this does the trick.

Reply to
Jack

Jim I did notice the two gold metal tabs that come in contact with the battery. There was a green light on the right gold metal tab and the left gold metal tab was not lit.

Does it make any difference, if there is paper over the front of the batteries. The paper says WALYNX-RCHB-DRW and it covers the entire front of the battery. Could this be why they aren't charging? I can peel the paper off.

Reply to
Jack

Jim also to be complete, inside the battery there is a small piece of foam that goes the length of the battery and there is a brown piece of paper that covers the top of each battery. This brown paper is the same length of the foam. In addition, there is a brown piece of paper that covers the four inside bottom batteries. The two outside batteries have no paper covering up their leads at the bottom. What is this purpose of this paper and foam?

Reply to
Jack

It be's broken

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That one sounds like the version with the 2 large metal prongs that sometimes didn't make the proper connections, you'll have to open it up and see if they seat properly

Reply to
Mark Leuck

If the paper is covering the battery contacts remove it! It's to keep the battery from shorting out during shipping and blowing the cargo plane up.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Actually, from the closeup image of the battery on

formatting link
looks like the two outside batteries may have the contacts that are used. It's hard to tell, but looks like the pins should go where the notch in the plastic drawer is.

I've only come across a handful of Lynx and none of them had the drawer-type battery, all had the battery packs with leads.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Crash, I guess what I could do is mark the gold contacts with a black felt tip and see, if the black die transfers to the bottom of the two outside battery leads. This is the only way that I can see to determine, if the leads are in fact going into these two slots.

Reply to
Jack

I wouldn't mark them with anything...you just finished cleaning them! With the drawer out you should be able to see down in there. If it looks like the pins line up with the notches in the bottom of the battery drawer AND there's tape or foam (or whatever) over the battery in that area; remove it.

I couldn't find any Honeywell sheets on that battery pack, so I can't be sure about any of this. All ref. material I can find shows the battery pack with the wire leads and tiny molex-type plug on it.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

They had 3 battery configurations in the early panels, one had 2 large metal prongs that sometimes didn't line up when you put the front back on the base, he might have that?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Mark this is the one I have. It has the two gold metal prongs. I did confirm that the two prongs were lining up with the slots at the bottom of the battery drawer. I don't know, if anyone can answer this, but there is a green LED that is lit next to the right prong, but the left one is not lit. Should the left LED be lit also?

Reply to
Jack

The internal LED's have no function that I know of

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.