Monitoring PC LOG REPORTS via DMP XR200/ICOM and Linux

I am trying to learn more about the innards of my XR200 panel and ICOM interface (with Remote Link).

I noticed that in addition to sending alarms and other reports to the remote station, it can also send "PC log reports" to another networked computer.

I have set up the reporting service (via my Remote Link software) and pointed it to the IP address of my Linux server. I can see that packets are being sent to the server but I don't know how to read them.

I was hoping that they were in SNMP so that I could use (and parse) a standard SNMP daemon, but that doesn't appear to be true...

So does anyone know what format the log report packets are sent in? Any ideas on how to write a linux daemon to monitor the port and decode/log the packets?

Thanks!

Reply to
blueman
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
blueman

I kinda doubt you'll be able to decrypt them.

| > I noticed that in addition to sending alarms and other reports to the | > remote station, it can also send "PC log reports" to another networked | > computer. | >

| > I have set up the reporting service (via my Remote Link software) and | > pointed it to the IP address of my Linux server. I can see that | > packets are being sent to the server but I don't know how to read | > them. | >

| > I was hoping that they were in SNMP so that I could use (and parse) a | > standard SNMP daemon, but that doesn't appear to be true... | >

| > So does anyone know what format the log report packets are sent in? | > Any ideas on how to write a linux daemon to monitor the port and | > decode/log the packets? | >

| > Thanks! |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Probably because I lack the time and skill :)

But, I don't believe that the messages are truly encrypted (I don't have the ICOM-E) and good open source guys have dissassembled much more complex and intentionally encrypted protocols.

If I were a betting guy, I would wager in fact that the messages are pretty much sent in the clear with just some header info up front.

Reply to
blueman

You'd win the bet, too. Alarm panel manufacturers don't like to spend money and, more importantly, EEPROM real estate on encryption. Besides, encryption of the log files and alarm reporting signals would do nothing to enhance the security of the system.

For clarification, the software which panel manufacturers like Napco issue encrypts the data files stored on the downloader PC. It does not, however, encrypt the messages the PC and the panel. Some downloaders don't even encrypt the data files.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I seriously doubt they're encrypted at all. Even if they are, given the communication protocols and competent programmer could decipher it.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

For sure their network stuff is - uses 128 bit Rijndael encryption and it's US Gov AES.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Hey Frank I know this might seem hard to grasp but you don't have to respond to every message

Reply to
Mark Leuck

"Rijndael"... Sounds Icelandic to me... They invaded us once you know? You give 'em a "toe-hold" and they'll do it again. In a few years the President's name will be "Bjorn Augustuson". "Oh him", people will say, "The guy with the horns." :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Doh! Thanks Crash. I was thinking about non-network stuff, not the present subject.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Really???

Reply to
Frank Olson

I'm not sure abt the non-network stuff, so I didn't wanna open my trap. I will ask next time I see my rep.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.