MAGELLAN DIY questions

Hi;

I'm new to this group with absolutely no alarm wiring experience. I=92ve bought a paradox MAGELLAN alarm system (4x wired digigard 75 PIR, 3x wired 476+ Pro PIR, SP-ZX8 expander, MG5050 PCB and the K32 LCD keypad).

My first question is: What is meant by EOL (end of line) and Wire Fault Recognition? Should there be only 4 wires OR 6 wired going into the PIR?

Is the following statement correct: If I only connect 4 wires to PIR (2 for power =96 black & red AND 2 for the alarm) and I use a resistor across one of the alarm and one of the Tamper connections =96 then the alarm will sound if cover is removed BUT nothing will happen if the wire connection to PIR is broken?

Also the MG5050 PCB has 5 zone connections (Z1 to Z5) but only 2 C connections (suppose the =93C=94 stands for Common). Therefore if all 5 zones are connected (Z1 to Z5 with one wire each), I am left with 2 wires in the fist =93C=94 and 3 in the other =93C=94 OR maybe all 5 in one = of the =93C=92s=94?

I suppose you connect the magnet contacts to any open zone (the same applies to panic buttons)?

Last question: I want to connect 3 LED=92s to indicate alarm status from outside of home. I think these must go to PGM inputs on panel but what happens to the other wire? I.e. One (LED positive) goes to PGM1 and the other wire to C?

Please excuse the obvious questions but it is not straight forward in the manuals and I don=92t want to =93blow up=94 the panel.

TIA Werner

Reply to
alarm_1st_timer
Loading thread data ...

EOL stands for "End Of Line" resistor. These are used to supervise the sensing circuits (aka "zones"). The system will display a trouble warning if the circuit is shorted out while disarmed. If it happens while the system is armed, an alarm will sound.

You need two wires for power and 2 for the zone. The tamper circuit is rarely used on residential applications.

If you want to use the tramer circuit, you should use a separate loop (6 wirs total) for the purpose.

Connect one side of each circuit to *any* of the "C" terminals. They are referred to as "common" terminals because they are physically connected to each other on the circuit board.

Yes.

Depending on the panel, the PGM outputs will either go high or low when active. If low (most common), connect the other side to AUX 12V+. If they go high, use the panel negative for the other side. To be certain which it is, either check the manual of apply a meter to the outputs and observe.

No problem. Manuals are often written for the benefit of people who already have experience. Even some of us need help from time to time. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"Tramer"? How the heck did I tpye taht? :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Thanx guys;

Programming guide is actually easy. Already found most of the codes I need to program once I=92m up and running. Anything thing =96 do I need resistors on my door magnet (same applies to panic button) or do I just connect them directly into an available zone? I'm 99% sure I don't need them - but I'll rather ask.

Regards

Reply to
alarm_1st_timer

Same way you typed "wirs"? ;-)

Work order:

Description: Customer has mis-spelled words displaying on User-net Problem Found: P.E.B.C.A.K.

Invoice: Grand Total: $85 (service call) Protection Plan: Y Discount: $85 Due: 0.00

Thank You for your business!!!

Miracle Computer Investigations, LLC "If you liked our work, it's a Miracle"

Reply to
G. Morgan

I'm not sure about the Magellan but most systems allow you to designate no EOLs during programming.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I've never seen a "magnet" that needed an EOL

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.