Legacy Uplink 1500

Can these still be activated? (The black metal can version...)

Just got a house with one installed with a DSC system, but no monitoring and I keep getting the sales folks trying to sell me new equipment. After testing the system, it appears to be in working order, so I woud like to just get CS monitoring...

Reply to
wkendrvr
Loading thread data ...

An authorized uplink dealer (like me) might be able to get it activated, but why? Its archaic. It only reports simple trigger inputs, and it will be unusable shortly in most of the country anyway due to phasing out analog cellular service.

Pony up for something good and modern like a Telular TG-4 digital cell communicator.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Why? Simple answer. Why not. Its paid for, it appears to work, and until I *have* to change, why should I? I realize that its not the latest and greatest, but it still works if a line is cut...

(you guys must be cut from the same cloth, I got almost the same answer from the local guys, who btw want to tear the whole system out and replace most of it, (the system is a DSC Power 632) which IMHO is ridiculous when the only part in question is the cellular backup!)

Back to the original question, can it be activated?

Reply to
wkendrvr

It may be possible, but you might not find a dealer who will do it, since any thinking security dealer will not be intereested in activating something that may not work in a couple of years.

Personally, I wouldn't activate it for you. The Power 632 is fine, but I would install a new digital cell unit.

As to being cut from the same cloth, I can only say that the dealers with whom you have spoken have given you good advice. You should consider removing the cloth that is aparently obscuring your vision. js js

Reply to
alarman

Any thinking dealer that wants my future business won't get it by forcing me to replace equipment that is functional.

dealer would sign me up for a year of monitoring on the condition that I replace the Uplink in a year (6 months before sunset) or make sure that I understand that I can not renew after next year. In the meantime, the wife has many other plans for the $300 or so a new dialer will be. (remember I said we just bought the house.) Our previous house did not have a cellular backup, this one does. Now, I like the fact that it does, but I didn't have it before, so not having it now wouldn't bother me much. Getting rid of it because someone is either too worried about selling me new equipment, or too lazy to follow up in a year, does bother me.

Reply to
wkendrvr

That's getting to be my standard reply with lots of folks, especially the ones that like to tell me how long the job should take and what my rate should be..... :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

Sure it can, if you can talk an authorized dealer into activating a unit that is being phased out soon. I activated one about a month ago, since it was already in the house, it worked ok for a week or two, then I had to replace it anyway...who wants double work? If you're willing to pay an installer to come out and activate it, and pay the activation fee and then pay him again a month or a few months later and then have to pay another activation fee...go for it - it's your money.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Crash

They're just telling you the truth.

Problem is the cellco's are not repairing the analog sites as they go down or degrade...so sunset may be sooner than you think..it was for me (see my earlier response)

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Crash

Heh, right. Yeah, you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to do that. Luck. Bye now. js

Reply to
alarman

Yup. Somehow I just can't seem to find the time to get to those jobs. js

Reply to
alarman

Yeah, I had another one go down last week. The TG-4 I replaced it with works dandy. js

Reply to
alarman

Maybe someone else - who wants to waste time with a customer who insists on doing things cheaply instead of correctly - will take the time to connect you to their CS.

You don't seem to realize that $300 for a new cellular backup unit is a good deal since the cost to get your antique running is upwards of $175.00 onsite and at least $50.00 for administrative costs. C'mon cowboy, pony up the extra $75.00 and do it right.

Meanwhile, I'm too busy doing things for paying customers who want things done right and are willing to pay a fair fee.

Julian

Reply to
julian

Yea, but the poor company who does the work will be subjected to the whine about service call fees, labour rate, etc., etc. This is the cheapass type of customer I send to my competition. Let them deal with the headache, heh, heh!

Julian

Reply to
julian

I just sent a batch of 1500's in on the sunset rebate program, pretty nice discount. I wish I had a few more on hand to do the same with.

alarman wrote:

Reply to
Crash

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.