Door phone for residence

Anyone have any recomendations for a door phone/intercom for a residence. Two stations one at the front door and one at the gate. Needs to have a gate release and the ability to sound a call waiting tone over the phone if the phone is busy when the door button is pushed

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L
Loading thread data ...

Have you looked at Viking?

formatting link

Reply to
alarman

formatting link
In Canada it's carried by Burtek (owned by Richardson Electronics).

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Door Fon !!! (ADI sells em)

Most excellent, easy to install. Handles up to two doors/gates, and you can add on a door strike module too. I've put in abt 10 in the last year. Good money too.

I put the module in the SWB along with my alarm wires. Double gang electrical box at the fd or gate...piece o'cake! Run it to the SWB because it's not a low voltage powered device, it has a 120v cord, so ya just plug the module into the SWB outlet and since your phones go to the swb your all done. I run a cat 5 to the FD or Gate...and your done. oh, yeah...no moving parts either.

Stainless or Bright Brass (sorta)

hth

Reply to
Crash Gordon

RLB goes thru all the trouble to post this and you have the gall not to read all of his extremely helpful posts? PLEASE read the one about this subject for your answer.;)

Never overestimate the power of large stupid people in GROUPS.

Reply to
grabbitt
100% right (of course), Crash. Also, you can use the doorbell wire if it goes to the basement (most do) on an existing house. I've sold tons of these little systems to DIYers. Some clients want more access at than two doors. That can be done if you install a second module on the telco line as follows: [street] -- [module 1] --- [module 2] --- [house phones]

I wouldn't recommend using use more than two modules (max 4 door stations) though.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

We install quite a few of them, but recently we have had the problem of the inside unit (on mostly older installs) creating noise on the phone lines and then ceasing to work all together; which of course requires replacement of the inside unit.

Reply to
sprgns

I've used this one also. Good product. Quality seems good. A Couple in for about two years now.

Two comments. If the power goes out, when it comes back up, the phone rings as if someone is at the door. ( woke up my client in the middle of the night) we couldn't figure out why it rang in the middle of the night until he noticed clock blinking.

Tech support consist of one guy (who I think is the owner, chief cook and bottle washer too) who's not always in the office. Oriental, with an accent and not too easy to understand what he's saying.

Reply to
Jim

It's pretty similar to the Viking.

Whoo needs tech support anyway?...the ring coulda been induced tickler current...or you client dreaming :-)

I've been using DoorKing stuff for almost 20 years and Mike the tech is STILL freekin there :-) ... sometimes small companies are much better

| > Most excellent, easy to install. Handles up to two doors/gates, and you can | > add on a door strike module too. I've put in abt 10 in the last year. Good | > money too. | >

| > I put the module in the SWB along with my alarm wires. Double gang | > electrical box at the fd or gate...piece o'cake! Run it to the SWB because | > it's not a low voltage powered device, it has a 120v cord, so ya just plug | > the module into the SWB outlet and since your phones go to the swb your all | > done. I run a cat 5 to the FD or Gate...and your done. oh, yeah...no moving | > parts either. | >

| > Stainless or Bright Brass (sorta) | >

| >

| >

| I've used this one also. Good product. Quality seems good. A Couple in | for about two years now. | | Two comments. If the power goes out, when it comes back up, the phone | rings as if someone is at the door. ( woke up my client in the middle | of the night) we couldn't figure out why it rang in the middle of the | night until he noticed clock blinking. | | Tech support consist of one guy (who I think is the owner, chief cook | and bottle washer too) who's not always in the office. Oriental, with | an accent and not too easy to understand what he's saying. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

DoorKing is good stuff. The problem is getting the distributors to stock it. Due to the per unit cost of their controllers, most don't want to keep it on the shelf.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I used to buy direct, but I'm not doing that kind of volume anymore with them...but TriEd has it.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yes, Tri-Ed sells it but they frequently have to special order it for us. I've all but given up on the idea that they will ever handle an order correctly. I've had them screw up so many DoorKing orders that I finally suspended offering it. Another of my distributors says they carry DoorKing so I might still reactivate the pages once I get new pricing.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That sounds like BassSpeak for " another distributor has cut us off "

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Shhhhhhh!!! It is.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Actually the unit DOES ring once when you power it up. Minor problem and inconvenience as long as you know about it when your client asks. Otherwise I was thinking the unit was ringing for no reason in the middle of the night and I'm thinking a bad unit or some kind of undetectable "glitch" or something. The way I had to "inbed" the out door unit on a plinth, it would have caused some problems if I would have had to re install it.

I'd bet he's not the ONLY tech though.

And as the propritor he can't always be sitting at the phone because he's the sales man too. That's what concered me. I know you gotta start somewhere but when I'm out in the field with a service problem, and I call tech support, I don't want to hear that Soong Li is on the road for a sales trip today and will be back tomorrow to answer technical questions. I figure someday he's going to have to take a 2 or 3 day sales trip ............. Just when I need him.

Reply to
Jim

Maybe it's just been my luck but anytime that I have had a problem all that he has said is to replace either the indoor or outdoor piece.

Reply to
sprgns

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.