Garage door control

I want to automate my garage door using Linux. The idea is that the computer records which codes are pressed and triggers the door if one is correct. It also takes a picture of the person at the control. So I need recommendations for the following pieces of hardware:

• keypad -- to be used in the script, not as a console keypad. It will be mounted outdoors so it shouldn't be too expensive. Preferably USB.

• relay -- I found the Super4
    formatting link
    Is it the best for the price?

• camera -- also mounted outdoors (but under an eve so it won't get too wet)

• open/closed sensor

• USB extender -- the garage door is 75' away from the computer I want to use, 30' away from one I could use in a pinch.-

Anything else I should know before I start?

Reply to
Spud Demon
Loading thread data ...

You're prepared to forego the door opening if your server is unavailable? You might want to take a look at using a hardware watchdog to reset the system if it's failing to respond. Oh, and a UPS of some sort.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Davies

For the keypad/code/garage opening part I'd use an already available door opening keypad. That makes you independent on your linux computer to open the door. The door opening process triggers linux to take a picture. So if the PC is down you don't have a picture but can get in to fix it.

Markus

Reply to
Markus Baertschi

I want to log all incorrect keypad attempts. Yes I do have normal garage door remotes which can bypass the keypad, but I always take my front door key with me in case of power failure anyway. Aside from long-duration power outages, my systems have pretty high availability.

It seems like the keypad might be the limiting factor though. How about a UHF remote, has anybody connected one of those to a Linux system?

Reply to
Spud Demon

Spud Demon considered Fri, 8 May 2009

06:57:46 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

Would one of the usb numeric keypads (sold for notebooks) fit the bill?

Reply to
Phil W Lee

Those keypads are presumably plug-and-play, which means they'd autmatically be configured into my graphics console. If I can find out how to stop that and use it from a background script instead, I could make it work.

Reply to
Spud Demon

Please post back here if you find one that doesn't automatically become a console input device.

formatting link
you'll need a contact closure to usb board so you may want an IO modules from the relay folks above instead of just a relay board. Add a solid state relay to the output to control the door.

Someone mentioned a UPS, with which I agree. But as far as functionality goes in this case if the computer loses power the garage opener will likely also. If you're considering powering the door too choose UPS carefully. Depending on UPS type it won't operate a motor (inductive load).

Reply to
Joe Beanfish

It's linux so you ought to be able to configure the USB driver to handle it accordingly. But I'm no expert on linux usb. I'd look for how to do something like setup multiple graphic sessions on the same machine. The idea being to isolate each keyboard, mouse and video adapter to a separate "desktop session". Seems like you ought to be able to do it. It would probably be "simpler" to have two video cards actually present, rather than trying to cajole some sort of virtual one to work.

But I don't know that I'd bother trying to use anything other than a secure keypad designed for outdoor security use. This has to be well-plowed territory already.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Here's what I use:

AMSECO 505-371G (Mouser 507-AMS-37) Magnetic Reed Switch

It's about $5, and is a "wide gap" reed switch.

Page 8 of this pdf show it mounted on the top of a std garage door.

formatting link

Reply to
J Miller

Reply to
kermit

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.