Keypad Fire Activated??

No problem, found them on line for about $50 bucks or so. $79msrp or there abouts. Kinda expensive. I would think that it may be worth the expense if all else fails. Looks like a outside unit.

Reply to
ABLE_1
Loading thread data ...

More input on the NX-148E keypad.

The panic buttons will trip with 82 ohms up to something less that 827 ohms. Did not think it was necessary to dial in on the exact ohm's but I do have a general range. Now, the next spider that crosses my path is going to be a science experiment.

Hope I don't get Spider Hugger Protesters complaining that they are endangered or something....................

Have a good week all.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

From: "RockyTSquirrel" Subject: Re: Keypad Fire Activated?? (Able_1 DSL info) Date: Sunday, October 05, 2008 10:26 PM

we wire it like a wholehouse filter and keep the RJ-31 in place. RTS

That's a much better approach since it reduces the likelihood that the homeowner or some TI will remove the RJ filter.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

yea about half our retro additions we put outside.. we wire it like a wholehouse filter and keep the RJ-31 in place. RTS

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

I assume you meant to say >> "I have had mysterious keypad panics from a static discharge"

Reply to
ABLE_1

Yes, and repeatable on older system that had supervised keypads with panic keys; if the keypad processor locked up from static discharge the keypad would go missing and send three panics from that keypad (police, med., fire).

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I had same type of problem with some DSC keypad full of dust and particuls that were place between the circuit board and the rubber membrane that composed the button, after cleaning never had the problem

the dust were there because they repared the wall and ceiling on top of the keypad, if i didnt had opened the whole circuitry I wouldn't had known, the repair had been done months before the F/A started, so everything was cleaned on the exterior of the keypad

"ABLE_1" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : O8qdnaebvvzpmXfVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Petem

e would you

Here's another possibility. I use Napco. Napco's keypads have soft rubber buttons with a hard nob on the back. The hard nob pushes a flexable memebrane with PCB lands on it up against a hard PCB with lands on it shorting the two together. What has happened is .... after prolonged use, the flexible memebrane begins to distort from the pressure of the little nob on the back of the key. Over time, I guess due to heat or cold, the warped membrane gets pretty close to the hard PCB and sometimes the customer will hear faint intermittant beeping from the keypad. The membrane can touch the PCB ever so slightly. And, I think the memebranes just might warp a little from age too. If it's just a single key and the keypad isn't where it would keep someone awake it's ok. People will usually live with it. But occasionally, I've had panic or fire signals sent by these "chirping" keypads. So now if I hear of keypads beeping for no reason, I really try to get them to let me change them out.

Reply to
Jim

Understood but this is a different type of keypad with the conductive black rubber on the back of the button that applies about 200 ohms to the traces. Keypads are only less than a year old. I really am thinking the spider did it. I just can't prove it. They have new keypads and I will be getting a credit on the old when I send them back. All seems to work out some day.

Reply to
ABLE_1

I have had this happen when the keypad wire is ran to close to the AC power wire. You may want to replace the wire with shielded and ground the panel and shield. Sometimes just grounding the panel will solve it.

James

Reply to
James B

I have had this happen when the keypad wire is ran to close to the AC power wire. You may want to replace the wire with shielded and ground the panel and shield. Sometimes just grounding the panel will solve it.

James

So on what panel and what keypad have you had this problem?????

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Data in a shielded cable? Two of the manufacturers I've used don't recommend using shielded cable for a data buss line.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

The ones we use dont recommend it either, But sometimes its not possible to run the keypad wire away from AC power wires. An example would be to run a keypad wire down a wall above the light switches. If the wall is not open when you do this you cant control the seperation of the two.

We use Ademco and DSC panels, I have had the panic problem on DSC. I have had other problems with Ademco.

James

Reply to
James B

Same experience here. Allan

Here's another possibility. I use Napco. Napco's keypads have soft rubber buttons with a hard nob on the back. The hard nob pushes a flexable memebrane with PCB lands on it up against a hard PCB with lands on it shorting the two together. What has happened is .... after prolonged use, the flexible memebrane begins to distort from the pressure of the little nob on the back of the key. Over time, I guess due to heat or cold, the warped membrane gets pretty close to the hard PCB and sometimes the customer will hear faint intermittant beeping from the keypad. The membrane can touch the PCB ever so slightly. And, I think the memebranes just might warp a little from age too. If it's just a single key and the keypad isn't where it would keep someone awake it's ok. People will usually live with it. But occasionally, I've had panic or fire signals sent by these "chirping" keypads. So now if I hear of keypads beeping for no reason, I really try to get them to let me change them out.

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.