is wireless mature yet

That sorta depends on your "point of view"...

Yep. But then, I've never mounted the transmitters in the window frame. We always drilled up and mounted them on the wall adjacent to the window (under the curtain rail so you can't see it). We'd use 3/8" stubbies. A lot of times moving the antenna through 90 degrees was enough to boost the range significantly. Never had a problem with the 900 mHz stuff.

Hmmmm... Never had that problem either.

I happen to like DSC too... even after the fiasco with the PC-3000, SkyRoute, MaxSys... Talk about a waste of time and money...

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

I've installed some of the GE Caddx wireless stuff and had good luck with it.

Martin

Reply to
AutomatedOutlet.com

$3-$7 for hardwire plus the added 30 minutes to an hour & a half per opening. Wiring is not as cheap as you think. Add in the cost of the cable, zone expanders, and abused drill bits while you're at it. Wireless is actually more cost effective for the installing company because they can install three to four times the amount of systems than if they used hardwire.

Reply to
no wires showing

We also have had bad luck with DSC, our company used to install DSC 832 & Maxis panels all the time. We have experienced the "rectifier problem" the "Ghost keyfob low battery problem" the "wireless problems" The "upgrade to

433mhz and dont support 900 anymore problem" and other random non specific problems. I also like what DSC panels can do and the different features they offer. But I dont like going back to my customers within a year or two to replace a bad board. We have since had to go to Ademco panels. The quality is great but the features are not as good.

James

replacement.

Reply to
James

In my experience, those companies are the very same ones whoes installers have the tendency to just install the systems without doing transmission strength test and optimal receiver location tests, so that they CAN do three to four times the amount of systems. Ask them how many call backs and service calls they have to do because of it. I don't have ANY problems peculiar to wireless, from any wireless system I install, except for an occasional short life lithium battery. But ...... it takes me just as long to do a wireless install as a typical wired system. The only difference is, that the wireless is less labor intensive.

Reply to
Jim

There are lots of good panel makes around; enough that installing companies should never have to put up with that shit ! Personally, I prefer Paradox, but this make is not very popular in the USA (although it is sold around the world in 40 or more countries)

It isn't perfect either, but so far none of the nonsense we've had to endure from DSC.

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

BTW the 900/433mhz bridge does exist, still in beta stage but should be out soon

Took em long enuff...

Reply to
Mark Leuck

For the DIYer hard-wiring the alarm system presents several advantages. First, it's less expensive since he doesn't have to buy transmitters and a receiver. Second, it's often more reliable in the long run. Third, it's nowhere near as likely to become obsolete and unserviceable like the DSC you push. Fourth, There are not a lot of batteries to replace every so often. Fifth, there are not a lot of funky looking plastic boxes at every window and door.

An average run of 50 feet of cable costs about $2-3.

A zone expander will cost ~$7-9 per zone, depending on the model.

You abuse drill bits?

Not only that but they don't even need any training or skill to do it. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yea, try replacing a 900 MHz wireless whatever. No longer supported by DSC. The Liberator line of wireless from Paradox is also no longer supported. What about the Omnia line? Can I still get parts for it?

Wait..... oh that's right I don't give a damn about DSC OR Paradox wireless. I'm now using ITI. 'Nuff said.

Julian

Reply to
julian

Providing his time is worth next to nothing.

Second, it's often more

Horse-shit. Never seen a wireless sensor "freeze" in a state that allows the home-owner to arm the system, never knowing the sensor is INOP. Never seen lightning fuse multiple reed switches together on a wireless system.

Third, it's nowhere near as likely to

Horse shit. If it works, it's not "obsolete", plus, with ebay and other online vendors, you can get anything.

Fourth,

Eh, once every 10 years is not a big deal. Or once every 5 - 8 years depending on the transmitter used.

What are you that behind the times? RECESSED my man, RECESSED!

And time.....but we have established that you think someones time is worthless.

Can you get a 1-zone expander?

No training eh? Okay, now we know FOR SURE you have not been "in the trade" for as long as you claim. 25+ years, PUCKY!

Again, why the Satan thing? Is this your idea of the "professionalism" you mention so often?

Reply to
Karl Magnus

Yea, I know, but my "boss" knows him. Nuff said.

He likes to go "real life", but , he can't this time! LOL!

Reply to
Karl Magnus

Careful there, Karl. He now knows where you work and will start sending your boss emails that include "snippets" of the messages you post in this group.

Reply to
Frank Olson

And all of that BS is from first hand experience .....is it?

You idiot. You reveal again, exactly what you DON'T know about installing wireless systems.

How's that again? Let's hear when you installed your last wireless system. Or, why don't you tell us when you installed your LAST system. Or ...... did you EVER install ANY system? You're so full of shit you blow your nose with Charmin.

>
Reply to
Jim

Is that what you sell it for? 50 feet of wire is about $1.00's worth.

Is that what you sell them for? An 8 zone expander from DSC is approx. $3.50 per zone.

Comes with the territory, cost of doing business. You never know what is going to be in the material (wood, concrete) that is not visible when you start to drill. It has been so long since you attempted an installation that you may not know what damage a drill bit on a hammer drill may suffer. In your day, the old hand augers were much easier on drill bits.

A line out of BassHome Alarm's Sales pitch. With that mentality, the client is much better off with you simply drop shipping equiment, even with your

200-300% mark ups. No wonder labor expenses never figure into you calculations.
Reply to
Bob Worthy

Many DIYers do the job themselves because they enjoy the challenge. Others do it because the alarm companies that bid the job either didn't offer adequate protection or they wanted too much money for the job. Still others have already had the misfortune to hire people like you to install a system and have since decided to do their own work.

The fact that you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The fact is wireless systems simply have more components which can fail and are therefore that much more likely to do so than a comparably designed hard-wired system.

With advances over the past few years wireless has become more reliable than the junk that was available before. However, it can never become more reliable than hard-wired or even as reliable as hard-wired.

I've seen lightning completely destroy the master controls of numerous wireless AND hard-wired systems, many of them older models which were no longer being manufactured. The difference is that an obsolete wired control can be swapped along with the keypads and almost everything else will work fine. With a wireless system, once the line is dropped (sooner or later all of them are) the entire system is obsolete. If a major component fails everything else has to be replaced.

Replacing a wired controller and keypad typically costs less than $200, even with many top-of-the-line keypads. Replacing a complete wireless system can cost thousands of dollars.

Of course, if charging your clients as much as you can get away with while providing subminimal protection is your goal, I can understand why you do what you do. I can't condone it, mind you, but I understand what you're up to.

Until the day comes (and it most assuredly will) when any major component like a panel, zone expander or keypad fails in service. Then the out-of-production wireless system must be completely scrapped.

Are you saying that you resell systems to your victims which you purchase on eBay. That's atrocious!

Or once every other year... also depending on how often the door/window/motion detector is tripped.

I've seen lots of systems installed (if you can call it that) by some of these so-called "authorized dealers" put in. Virtually none of them used recessed transmitters, apparently because those cost a couple of dollars more than the clunky box style units. Also, it appears that these nimrods rarely know how to use a drill.

Perhaps your time is worthless. My clients often decide that they will take the time to do the job right after learning what junk the local "authorized dealers" are pushing. Only the customer can decide the value of his time.

Planning to install a 1-zone system, are you?

Judging from some of the work I've seen done by companies like yours, none at all.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

And here again we have a perfect example of the antagonistic, inimical and totaly biased conjecture, that any DIY'er can install an alarm system as good as any installer. How blatantly ridiculous you and your stupid banter are. No one believes anything you say. You're a fat ridiculous know nothing. You're outdated and don't have a clue about up-to- date equipment. You're not even a has-been. You're just a "never was". A fat slob gnome, sitting at his computer, reshipping equipment to unsuspecting victims who don't know that they're dealing with a demented killer and felon. A piece of shit that can't get along with anyone. How's the ol heart there Fat pig? Any chance of you getting buried in Brazil?

Reply to
Jim

They'd have to "drop ship" him from Salvador first.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I was expecting him to tell us how his 1/2 Guayanese 1/4 Jewish 1/4 Malaysian cousin-in-law's third wife's aunt's next door neighbor assisted Bass in rescuing the Dali Lama's personal hair stylist's best friend from a pack of chain smoking alligators in the French Quarter using a device invented by his nephew, which has now been purchased by FEMA for a substantial sum providing Bass agrees to consult them on it's use. But he's probably too tired from eating to tell us about just another day in his life.

Reply to
no wires showing

Now we all know that the above story isn't true.

He exaggerates MUCH more that.

Reply to
Jim

Nah. They wouldn't spring for more than $10,000,000 so I killed the project.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.