How to identify a DSL Telephone Line

With the need to install a filter on a DSL phone line when an alarm system is connected to that line, is there a method that any of you use to determine if the line is POTS, a DSL line which is also used for voice, or when dial tone is supplied by a Cable company?

Asking the customer is an exercise in frustration, as they in most cases don't know.

Reply to
chasbo
Loading thread data ...

Have them read to you their phone or cable bill statement.

Reply to
Just Looking

I do it by listening to the line on hook with my butt set. usually works. dsl is real noisy.

Reply to
socko

If its an always on connection just use your butt set and listen for the buzz. If it is not an always on connection look for DSL filters on devices tied to that line.

By being familiar with the various high speed interent services offered in my area I can often figure out what the risks are by asking them, "Do you have high speed interenet? Who from?" If I don't "KNOW" what the provider they mention offers I ask to see their modem.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Use the client's phone line to call your cell phone. While connected, remove power from his modem. If it's VoIP the call will terminate. If it's unfiltered POTS with DSL you should be able to hear the DSL noise.

BTW, I'm currently using Verizon FIOS (fiber optic) service. I tried several alarm panels on it, including a Honeywell Vista-20P, a Napco Gemini P3200 and an ELK-M1G. All were able to communicate using Contact ID format without a hitch. I didn't bother trying pulse formats or SIA. I also run a fax machine and a couple of modems and they all work well.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cox communications in chesapeak VA can do a digital phone that is separate from the cable modem connection. I did not believe the customer when he told me so we killed the main breaker. The Router and hub were fed directly from the cable and of course power out meant no internet but there was still a dial tone. All Voip is not equal!

Reply to
Seccon1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.