honeywell system - adding zones/devices

I have a home alarm system that uses Honeywell/Ademco devices. I want to add a new motion detector and a new window detector. How can I do this? The the alarm company refuses to give instructions to me; they want to send a tech out for $100/hr. The keypad is the Vista-15. (they also wanted to charge me $150 for a motion detector and I just bought 2 of them on ebay for $50 total).

Reply to
johnmolinda
Loading thread data ...

If your system uses wireless devices, then you're going to have to access installer level programming to enroll the new devices. If the motions you purchased on eBay are "wire in", then you're going to have to run wire from the common control to the place on the wall that you want to install them. In order to accomplish the latter you're also going to have to access installer level programming to activate the zone on the system (or use an already programmed zone). If your system is monitored, then I know your contract will state that the alarmco must provide this service. This isn't to "protect" their revenue stream so much as to ensure that you don't inadvertently alter a programming parameter which might compromise your system. If you do want to install the wired in devices yourself there's a FAQ you can read on the subject. It's located at

formatting link
Good luck!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Here we go again

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Ay-yup.

Reply to
alarman

So who wants to start?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

:-))

The OP forgot to purchase Installation Knowledge along with the $50 motion detectors... I believe the installation knowledge can be purchased on ebay for around $250.... Good Luck!!!

Reply to
Russell Brill

You're not gonna be able to do this if you're monitored by someone. No alarmco in their right mind would accept this kind of liablilty.

If you're not monitored, just access the V15 via the installer code and add the devices. BTW and plain V15 is pretty old, are you sure that's the model number? Do you have a keypad capable of programming zones? (6139 or

6160)...if you don't you'll need to buy one of those too. The bigger issue is; do you know the installer code?

BTW if they're willing to do it for 100 bucks (and if the pirs you bought are wireless) it shouldn't take more than an hour and it would be well worth it for you to do. If they are WIRED devices...why don't you run the wire yourself and let them install them...shouldn't take more than an hour either. BUT IN EITHER CASE I DOUBT THEY WILL WARRANTEE WHAT YOU BOUGHT ON EBAY EVEN IF THEY DO THE FINAL HOOKUP.

Good luck.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.