Hey, J. Sloud

I got a call to come reactivate an alarm system I installed about 5 years ago. A DSC 5010, 2 LCD keypads, complete hardwired perimeter doors and windows, and a smoke. A beautiful, rock-solid installation. I wired the house myself for the previous homeowner, who has long since moved on. I did another house for him before he moved to Sacramento.

Anyway, I show up this morning and find an ADT sign in the yard. My very first thought was uh-oh, I'm gonna havta fixit. This is what I found: The control panel can is hanging from one screw. (I securely fastened it with wall anchors) The original 5010 board has been replaced with a 5020. (The original 5010 was not locked, so I donno) My original neat wiring in the can has been replaced with the traditional [ADT/P1/your favorite national here] rats nest.(Why this was necessary I still can't figure out. Is it part of the job description or what??) The smoke detector is disconnected in the panel, why remains a mystery. There is no phone connection to the panel: My RJ31X is there, but the cord has been removed.

4 windows and one door are disconnected, and those zones jumped out with resistors. My original Yuassa 7 amp/hour battery is gone, now replaced with a 4 amp/hour cheapo.

Minor stuff that I'll fix in about 1/2 hour. The door and 3 windows don't ring out because the door was replaced and no magnet was added to the new one. The 4th window was connected to a keypad zone. It looks like the ADT "tech" couldn't figure out the missing magnet and keypad zone, and just strapped out those zones. Don't know what to say about the (lack of) phone connection, I didn't think ADT did locals. To their credit they did not lock the board, so the system will soon be restored to original, actual alarm system-like status.

The sign in the yard says ADT. Not ADT authorized dealer. ADT.

I'll add it to the others in my collection. js

Reply to
alarman
Loading thread data ...

Great.

I spent the morning at a site we're taking over from the local Sonitrol franchise. Three systems, all Napco, with various fire alarm devices placed here and there with no regard to fire code. None of the systems are listed for commercial fire use and they all only have one phone line and no secondary. One building had a riser with an unconnected waterflow switch. The other had a waterflow connected using zip wire right to the switch, wrapped around the riser pipe. In fact, all of the wiring was 22/4 ba and not listed for fire either. Some doors were contacted and others were not. Some wire was tied to high voltage conduit while most wire was loosely draped over whatever was close. The best part was the poor guy was paying: $249 a month. Scumbag local puke company.

My afternoon was spent meeting with a defense contractor about some smartcard/ RFID integration that, according to them, we were the third company they had talked to and the only one to have a clue how to do what they needed. Dumbass trunkslamming local dealers.

Monday I'll be at a T/S government facility working on a very large project having to do with homeland security and keeping your ass safe from being blown up.

Your welcome.

I know you take pride in your trade and I have great respect for what you do. You know my feelings about ADT's high volume and dealer programs. If it was up to me, I'd have combined the government, commercial, and national account divisions of ADT with Simplex and spun the residential side off two years ago. They're nothing but trouble for me. Believe me, every chance I get, I let someone on that side of the house know how the industry perceives them and how their short-sighted decisions effect the rest of the company. It's actually getting better. In the US, corporate ADT no longer leases residential systems. The average sale is over $800 now. There is less pressure on units and more emphasis on revenue. The reps are being better trained, because ADT is focusing on revenue per user instead of pushing RMR accounts. It's a slow process, but the days of two doors and a motion for $99 is gone. With any luck, the dealer side will follow suit soon.

J.

Reply to
J. Sloud

Reply to
Where's my WEBTV?

"J. Sloud" wrote

OK, you get my point. Yeah, the schlock isn't limited to the nationals, and ADT does the big stuff better than small dealers. I just need to blow off steam when I see some of the crap that passes for security. I haven't seen any improvement, but as you say it's a slow process. js

Reply to
alarman

Naw, I knew it wasn't one of yours, Tom. There weren't any wireless contacts and the control panel wasn't mounted next to the front door. Line seizure was still evident, and the word Lynx didn't appear anywhere in the house. js

Reply to
alarman

Reply to
Where's my WEBTV?

Home Depot sells em by the roll

Reply to
Mark Leuck

When I was in the Marines I spent 3 yrs on active duty support for the reserves out of Westover Air Reserve Base in Chicopee MA. Our Armory had an ADT system in it and I know it worked well because every few months someone would lean against a bench wearing the panic button (a box slightly larger than a cigarette pack with a big white button sticking out from the front) and within a few minutes the building would be surrounded by state troopers with shotguns out and a pucker factor of 10. (we were an anti-tank unit - lots of TOW missile launchers, 50 cal and Mark-19 machine guns and a slew of M-16's.) Since the alram was silent we generally didn't know it until someone tried to leave....

Since I retired and moved to alarm business I have to agree with your assessment of the resi side of your company...based upon my own observations of systems we take over.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

If you are in an armory with TOW missiles, 50 cal and M-19 machine guns having a few state troopers with 12-guages doesn't sound very frightening...

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Which is why they had a pucker factor of 10...

They did know we never held any live missiles (they were always sent right to the ranges - I wonder why...)

But when we were gearing up for training we did house the ammunition for the other stuff.

Can you imagine standing behind a patrol car wondering if this is all another f*ck up or if someone is really doing something in there - and if there is they are gonna rip this car apart like tissue paper...

The beaten zone of an M-19 has got to be pure hell - at least with ma deuce you can get REEAALLLL LOW and hope...

Point is... we hated that stupid panic button... Even back then I saw garage door openers smaller than that thing.

But the dispatch was always right on time..

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.