Hello!!

Did anybody here that????

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

can you hear me yet..!

Reply to
RTS

Nope. Didn't hear a thing. What happened?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well by golly!! Somebody was actually listening to the break in the SILENCE!!! I am impressed!!!

Thanks!!

Anyone have anything new to report or discuss?? I will lead off!!!

I for one will be installing my 2nd ever in 32 years a Fiber Optic cable pull for a Network run on Wednesday!!!!

It is to replace a CAT5e cable run underground between two barns for a WiFi connect to allow a horse trainer to send out video of her horse training to others. YippKiAaaaa!!!

The install was about 3 months ago and since have lost 4 data switches to lightning storms passing through. I have learned a big lesson NOT to do that ever again!! My whoops and fault!!!

Glad to see that you's guy are still checking in here to hear what be going on!!

BTW nobody mentioned my spelling error!!! Thanks for that!! :-)

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

On Monday, August 23, 2021 at 6:32:31 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:

Well, ewe noe thaat oue don pai munch atensuhin two splein ron hear.

A lot of little stuff going on for me right now. Just waiting for the new construction home I prewired to get to the point I can return and mount security hardware and start the system up. Then do the same with and get the TV's, internet and cameras on line. Still waiting for the other prewire to start. Lady's daughter had a baby so she's staying with them right now. I guess she'd have to be paying mortgage and refurbishing has been put on hold. OR - - - - - MAYBE. I lost the job!. I just got back from a weeks vacation up to Vermont so I've got to check in with her and see what's going on. . Other than that, I've got a S%#@load of service calls to do. and another whole 8 Camera residential waiting to be done. Upgrading 3G's to 4G in between everything. In the process, I've been able to upgrade some of them to Cell Phone control via virtual keypad with a nice increase in monthly RMR. It's amazing. When I first started offering central station monitoring so many years ago, I was getting $9.00 a month. Now people are willing to pay $40.00 /$50.00 a month and more. As much as many alarm trade people don't like the "Free" alarm companies. I think it's because of them that end users are more inclined to pay more for monitoring now days. . Anyway, good to see every one is still checking in here. I do, most every day, I started here in the 90"s. So it's just habit now. I had always hoped this could become a "haven" for trades people to come and give and take information but it just never turned out. At the time it could have there was just too much turmoil and it drove (most) everyone away. And now that the social media groups have taken root, (none of which I belong to) This kind of forum just has no appeal. I'm assuming there are alarm groups there. . To me, the social media groups just want to know too f%$@ing much about me, what I do, how I do it, where I do it, who I do it with. Just to invasive in my privacy to suit me. Every place you go people and TV and advertisements make reference to Facebook or Twitter or Instagram or whoever etc, etc. And it makes you feel as if you're missing out on something and "that's how they get ya !" Well, so far I've been able to avoid getting sucked in to any of them in spite of the push and pull from all factions. I've been able to function with out them so far. We'll see what happens as time goes on. It just may become a necessity at some point. If I go in - - - it'll be heels first.

What say you-all ?

Reply to
Jim Davis

Re, the fiberoptic. I'm presuming you are using a pre-terminated fiberoptic cable - - - - right? The cost of the splicers is quite high so I can't imagine that you'd go for one of those just for one cable. So, are you supplying the hardware also? Digital converters? I've read about how to do it but never have had the opportunity. Let us know the details of your experience when you get it done. Sounds like fun.

Reply to
Jim Davis

My most interesting experience with fiber was at a facility in Mexico. I installed a DVR on both sides of the road for a facility. They had a fiber pair under the road connecting both facilities. Everyday in the afternoon access to the DVR on the opposite side of the road would get slow and cludgy. I thought maybe it was a congested network, but I could always access the DVR on the same side of the road just fine, AND THEY HAD FIBER across the road. One day I took a look at the fiber translator to discover it was only 10Mbps. They had a massive bottleneck right in the middle of their network at what should have been the fastest link. It took me almost a year to get them to upgrade their fiber link. They had spent (by the time it was done) almost $50K with me, but they baulked at spending a few hundred bucks to actually use their fiber link at any reasonable capacity.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yes, it amazing how difficult it is for some people to understand the simple problem.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Hi Jim,

Yes, I am totally turned off of the Social Crap!! I have a Cousin that wanted me to get on Facebook. I tried to be firm and said no. She decided to go ahead and set up an account for me. Was to be just family. Within two weeks I started to get emails from people that wanted to be "my friend". I ended up cancelling the account and it was a bit difficult!! But, I got it done!! My Cousin still like me!!

Hope the work load goes well!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Absolutely, Pre-Terminated!! The alternative really sucks!! Yes, it took a lot of work to find the right matching parts. Particularly, the cable end connectors. I tried calling some friends to see what their knowledge level was in Fiber. Well lets just say I now excel well past them. I order the stuff off of eBay and just received the stuff last Friday. I set up in my office to my laptop and network switch.

Data Converter on each end of a 328 Foot (100 Meters) Multimedia LC/LC Fiber Optic Cable. Powered up and got about 28Mbs++ Speed to my Laptop which is a bit slow in today's world.

The first challenge was that the cable came coiled up in a plastic bag. It was on spool from mfg. but pulled off and placed in the bag. I had a empty wire spool in my storage locker. I set it up and my wife was turning the spool wrapping the fiber neatly as I was un-spooling in my hands. That went well for about 50 -75 feet. Then things got ugly!!! Took about 45 minutes to de-tangle the rest of it out on my yard. It is amazing how quick a single cable can get twisted. &%$#((@*&#**^%!! I need to come up with a better solution for the next time. Any hints???

I also got a Pulling Eye to pull the cable through the conduit. My only concern right now it the length. I 'think' I will have an extra 20-30 feet. I need to do some extra measuring when I get on site. Last thing I need it to be 2" short!!

If this works as I want I have another job waiting in the wings to install two IP cameras on a pole 200' from a building. I was actually going to do it with CAT5e cable with surge protection and stuff until I was woken up with these damaged Data Switches.

Will know more after Wednesday!!

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I got on Facebook to see what happened to all the high school people I used to know, when they started dying off I quit going

Reply to
mleuck

I laughed out loud when I read that.

I can't stand those little plastic bags of four conductor wire for the same reason. You get down to the last 50 feet or so and it's got no weight so you can't pull it out of the bag. So you're trying to shake the bag off of the end of the wire like an idiot waving a flag around while trying to create new swear words at the same time. And then when the wire finally comes out of the bag, in an instant you've got the Gordian Knot. I don't have a suggestion for you unless you were running into the same problem repeatedly. The electricians around here make up an expandable four spoked rack to pull their romex wire from. but it's always the approximate same size spool so they don't need different sizes for different size spools. If you're still interested I'll go into an explanation of how they make and use it.

Don't forget to let us know how the job turned out

Reply to
Jim Davis

Ok so here is the final results!! After the story that is!!

I had it set up with another guy to help as a sub on this Fiber Project. We met on site and the first thing was to make sure the Fiber Cable was long enough to do the run. Opened the box in the Tobacco Barn and checked to see if there was a legible footage number on the CATT5e cable. There was and I wrote it down. Then we drove up to the Horse Riding Barn and looked, but not enough cable was exposed to see any numbers. Had to cut the 1" PVC on the outside to take out a section so I could install a 1" Uni-body Type C Pull Box. And to do so without cutting the CAT5e inside the pipe. Got that done and then pulled the cable out to check the footage. Got a number and did some math and it was 278' long!!! That means I had 50.08398950131 feet more than what was needed to do the job!!! YaaHoooo!!!

I could now start to breath a bit better!! Then we installed the Pull Box on one side only so we could pull the Fiber. Went back to the Tobacco and had to make a second pipe cut because I wanted as straight a pull as possible. Ended up with just one 90 at the Horse Barn for the pull. Got everything set up and installed the Fiber Pulling Sleeve on the fiber cable and clipped to the pull string.

I went to the Horse Barn and started to pull ?up?, 12" - 16" at a time!! BTW, I was standing in direct sunlight with temperature at 93 degrees!! I was a puddle of SWEAT and then some!!! I thought I would never get it there. Had a huge pile of string on the ground and had to use my screwdriver handle to help my fingers from getting chaffed from the string. Finally the Knot came through and I knew I had another 12 feet to go!! Then the turnbuckle came through and the Fiber. Pulled what I need plus another 6 feet or so. Returned to the Tobacco Barn and passed all cables back through the conduit to the box. Coiled up the extra Fiber Cable and connected to the Multimode Media Converter and powered up, Blinky Blink. Closed up the box.

Up to this point my STRESS LEVEL was off the charts!! I tried not to show it..................much.............

We went up the Horse Barn and did the same up there and got Blinky Blink and about a minute later the WiFi was back up. DOUBLE YaaHOOOOOO!!!!

We went on our separate ways. ME?? I went home and collapsed!!! After such an event I just want to crawl in a hole and sleep it off.

I did so for an hour before typing!!

Now I am back to working up the proposal for this two camera job on a pole that is 200 feet from the building that will NOW be installed on Fiber Optic. Now that I am a "expert" in Fiber Optics I think I can handle the job with ease!!! ;-)

Ok that is the end of the story!!! Thanks for reading and I hope you guys got a smile on your face at least once!!!

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Ha! Most of the high school folks that wanted to friend me on Facebook were the folks who didn't want anything to do with me in high school. I don't have time for that shit. I do drum up a fair amount of business interest on Facebook though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.