Frank - Alarms TQ

Hey Frank, can you reccommend anyone to consult with further to setting up a company? We have a few questions that need to be answered and not enough resources for research. When I was last at Burtek they had a posting for alarm monitoring...is that a common thing? I am just starting to acquire knowledge in this aspect of security and time is an issue

Thanks

Reply to
CCTV
Loading thread data ...

Hey Frank, can you reccommend anyone to consult with further to setting up a company? We have a few questions that need to be answered and not enough resources for research. When I was last at Burtek they had a posting for alarm monitoring...is that a common thing? I am just starting to acquire knowledge in this aspect of security and time is an issue

Thanks

Reply to
CCTV

For CCTV, access control (including intercom), fire alarm and monitored response (to any of the aforementioned) you don't require a license other than a buisness license in the city(ies) you're going to be selling in. Fire alarm does require A.S.T.T.B.C. certification if you're going to providing inspection services and some direct experience with a number of different controls and building functions so you might want to steer clear of this for now. It also requires a licensed TQ'd electrician to pull the applicable permit, and do the actual installation.

FWIW, there are a lot of alarmco's in the Lower Mainland and the business itself is really "dog-eat-dog" (competetive). I'd start off with a business plan that isn't so much grounded in the burg aspect and thereby avoid having to rely on an individual with a "TQ" that may decide your company (and the work involved in setting it up) is "not his cup of tea" unless of course you have an "in" with a client(s) that will provide an "instant" account base (we're talking like 250 to 500 monitored customers).

AJ's right. If you want to sell burg systems, consult on their installation, design, layout, install and service, you're going to need licensing through Security Programs. That's not a huge deal. To sell systems for instance doesn't require anything really special. You have to submit to a background search, get fingerprinted, photographed, pay the fee and "voila". Your company would also require registration to sell alarms. That can be upgraded if you actually do hire a TQ so you can also install and service them. As long as you use licensed TQ's (either independent contractors or direct employees) to install, service and maintain the equipment you sell, you'll be alright. If you do decide to hire your own TQ, you can "apprentice" under him. For that you'd need another license called Alarm Service - Under Supervision. After three years, you write an exam and get your own TQ.

Here's a link to the BC Government website which explains all this (and more), provides the forms to download to register yourself and your business, etc.

formatting link
There are several good companies in town that will monitor your clients. Counterforce recently closed their Burnaby operation but I understand another company has taken over the premises and wound up hiring a good deal of the staff back. I believe the name of the company is AIP (or API - whatever) but with all the changes in the industry it's hard to keep track of these things. Steer clear of alarmco's that offer third party dealer monitoring because there's an inherent conflict of interest and you're bound to run up against customers that may already be using their services which could put you in a "dicey" situation. If you don't already have a business plan, haven't defined your market, and don't have the expertise to do all that yourself, I'd say that this is the wrong business to get in to. Relying on hired help will require deep pockets and using individuals with no direct interest in the business means you're liable to wind up setting yourself up for a mighty big fall when they get "scooped" or decide to move on.

That's just my "two cents"... email me if you like. My email's feolson at shaw dot ca (no spaces).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.