LoopBack Interface

Can anybody help me in the following subject?

Situation 1. Router 1 (2500 series) have 2 Serial Interface connected to 2 Branches. Loopback Interface is also configured for the Router & is running OSPF as the Routing Protocol. Does the Loopback Interface have any role to play if both the Serial Interfaces goes down(Line Protocol)?

Thanks..

Reply to
Sabya
Loading thread data ...

In article , Sabya wrote: :Can anybody help me in the following subject?

:Situation 1. Router 1 (2500 series) have 2 Serial Interface connected :to 2 Branches. Loopback Interface is also configured for the Router & :is running OSPF as the Routing Protocol. Does the Loopback Interface :have any role to play if both the Serial Interfaces goes down(Line :Protocol)?

That sounds like homework or an exercise. People will often refuse to answer questions they perceive to be homework questions, as it would be unfair for the student to gain credit for the work of others.

Tell us what -your- analysis and reasoning is, and if we see a misconception, we will point it out.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Mr.Walter, how r u?Nice meeting you again in the same field. But i couldn't find find out the reason what made you think that the question is from a homework schedule? I am not into any school where i have faced such questions.Infact i need to gain some more knowledge before taking up a small business unit project & one of my senior have asked to implement Loopback Interface while configuring the Routers.I thought to gain some knowledge from this group but your attitude regarding this question reminds me of the previous sorry tale .May be Big Persons thinks big always like this. "I want to know what the practical utilisation of Loopback Interface in a Router ; specially whether it has any role during Interface (Protocol) downtime?" I think you have failed to understand the technical aspect of my question & your point of reply is again pulling us to the ugly point of distraction rather than helping me to gain some knowledge. If you feel you can help me for the technical aspect of the question,please find your time to answer it else please avoid any personal disfiguring.

Reply to
Sabya

Your question (reproduced below) is a classic textbook question on OSPF. It is answered in virtually every tutorial on setting up OSPF because it is fundamental to setting up a stable OSPF routed network. In other words, it is the kind of question which is very common for a student to ask yet would indicate horrible ignorance if asked by a network designer.

OSPF has a very specific use for a specific loopback IP address which is fundamental to how the OSPF protocol works. There are also several other very common (and very important) uses for loopback addresses, but I'm assuming you're covering the OSPF chapter, not the network management chapter, at this point. EIGRP also cares about loopback interfaces, but for a different reason, so you'll want to understand that before you attempt to use EIGRP in a complex network.

I think Walter understood "your" question much better you appear to. If this was a real networking question, it would come wrapped in an application context. As phrased, you could have easily answered your own question by investing a few minutes in Googling the appropriate terms or reading any of the text books you have which cover OSPF network design (or any of Cisco's design guides if you have not purchased any good reference books).

I agree with Walter. If you're not willing to take time to read any of the fine references available for free on the web, why should we invest our time helping you out? Nothing personal, but this news group is active enough without the deluge of homework questions which appear every year around mid-term and final exam season. If this actually is a legitimate self-study question, it is merely posted to the wrong newsgroup and you should try again on the cisco certification news group, but be forewarned that as you have framed the question, you can expect to be flamed there as well, although you may get it answered by some eager beaver CNE wannabe anxious to show off their new found knowledge.

Good luck and good hunting!

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

In article , Sabya wrote: :Hi Mr.Walter, : how r u?Nice meeting you again in the same field. : But i couldn't find find out the reason what made you think that :the question is from a homework schedule?

Because the question was obviously copied from somewhere else. People who ask self-written questions do not start out with "Situation 1" [at least no without going on to Situation 2]. They also don't ask open ended questions about "the effect" that a feature has on another feature: they ask -specific- questions.

I didn't pay any attention at the time to who had posted the question, but seeing as it is you, I have further indicators: namely that the the English phrasing and sentance structure of the question was significantly different than anything I have seen you write. When you are phrasing sentances yourself, you use l33t-speak like "how r u"; your capitalization is inconsistant; you usually leave out the space after a period; and your nouns are not always pluralized correctly. I do not say this to insult you, only to point out that the question posted was clearly not one that you had written yourself.

:I think :you have failed to understand the technical aspect of my question &

I did understand the technical question, but historically, our experience has been when someone obviously copies a question from somewhere else, that -they- do not understand the technical question.

:your point of reply is again pulling us to the ugly point of :distraction rather than helping me to gain some knowledge. :If you feel you can help me for the technical aspect of the :question,please find your time to answer it else please avoid any :personal disfiguring.

I did not engage in any 'personal disfiguring'. I gave you advice. I said that your question "appears" to be homework or an assignment (and it certainly did so appear.) I said that if people "perceive" your question that way, that they will tend to be displeased, and I offered a short explanation of why they would feel displeased.

I then indicated to you what you could do to reach a wider audience: namely, to post -your- take on the question and -your- reasoning about it: when people get the impression that you are trying for yourself but that you've just misunderstood something, then people are often quite willing to be of assistance.

This newsgroup is not a library, and it is not an organization of free tutoring and free consulting: this newsgroup is composed of

*people*, some of whom mostly read and some of whom read and respond. The people who respond seldom like to feel they are taken advantage of: they often don't mind -helping- someone, but they don't want to feel that they are doing all the work (especially if the question gives the impression that the other person is likely to get credit for the answer.)

Hence, if you want to get the best answers out of this newsgroup, instead of just posting a copied question, explain what you already know about the question, and describe the various possibilities of interpretation that you see; when you do that, people are -much- more likely to point you in the right direction (and might even explain why the other alternate possibilities don't work, which can be information that is ten times as valuable.)

:If you feel you can help me for the technical aspect of the :question,please find your time to answer it else please avoid any :personal disfiguring.

If this had been comp.lang.c, the answer from other posters would have simply been,

"Send us the email address of your course instructor, and we will send the answer to him."

But that's not what I did: instead I explained what the problem was with the way the question was put to us, and I explained what you needed to do in order to get a better answer.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.