ESP "Infinite" Wireless Security Alarm

Just bought one of these alarm systems. I want to use it purely and simply as a burglar alarm, ie, no GSM, no "Central Station" monitoring and no X10 Home Automation.

The kit came with 3 wireless PIRs and none of them seem to detect movement. Each PIR has a jumper that can be set to "walk test" mode and there's a red LED that should come on when movement is detected. About every 4 minutes the LED flashes twice as the PIR sends an "I'm alive and here" signal back to the control unit but it just doesn't light up when you move.

The control unit is in the hallway with the zone 1 PIR mounted above it and the unit reports Zone 1 PIR as signal strength 9, status OK. Zones 2 & 3 PIRs are reported as signal strength 7, status OK.

As I said, none of the PIRs do anything except their 4-minute "check-in" with the control unit. Seems strange that all 3 should be faulty but that's what it looks like, unless anyone here can put me right.

Actually, to be more precise, I have the system set to "chime" when a detector triggers until I get it all installed properly and while I was typing out this message the hallway detector was triggered twice. It seems that the detectors *will* detect movement, but only *once* in the 4-minute period between "check-in" signals.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

John.

Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

Thats kinda the way most of the wireless pirs work, the walk test led only works when in walk-test and not during actual operation, this is to save battery life. Same for the alarm signal they usually will send one signal to the panel every few minutes, not every time it sees movement....same thing...save battery life.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I have to admit to being very much a novice and a newbie when it comes to security alarms but surely Crash, that can't be right, can it? If the wireless PIR only sends an alarm signal to the control unit every few minutes and not every time it senses motion, a burglar could be in and out between signals - or worse, in, out of range of PIR when it decides to send it's next signal, and out 20 minutes later in another "space" between signals???

John.

Reply to
John

It's true. The Ademco units for example will send a signal when it first detects the motion, but if motion continues in the area it won't re-send another open signal until the area stabilizes. It's nowhere near 20 minutes though.

Reply to
G. Morgan

that's normal operation of the detector to save battery life..

the detector will report a movement then go to a coma state for around 4 minute then will come back to life and start monitoring for movement,if there is no movement the detector will be alive until a movement occur,then it will transmit the alarm and shot down for another 4 minute,that's to prevent the detector to transmit every time you move inside your house will the system is disarm...

of course if you have no door contact that mean that there is no protection after leaving your house up to 4 minute after you left...

"John" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Reply to
Petem

Thats the way they work. It will detect the intruder when he firsts enters the area, then won't send another detection for whatever specified time the manufacturers design is set for. What's the problem with that? Do you need to know that he walkd through the living room 56 times? Besides most alarmcos use swinger shunt even on wired systems so you don't get inundated by runaway alarm signals (swinger shunt will stop that zone from sending alarms after a specified number of trips, then wait a specified amt of time before beginning again).

CS dispatches on the 1st signal...we really don't need 55 more identical signals.

| >

3 | > | PIRs are reported as signal strength 7, status OK. | > | | > | As I said, none of the PIRs do anything except their 4-minute "check-in" | > | with the control unit. Seems strange that all 3 should be faulty but | > that's | > | what it looks like, unless anyone here can put me right. | > | | > | Actually, to be more precise, I have the system set to "chime" when a | > | detector | > | triggers until I get it all installed properly and while I was typing | > out | > | this message the hallway detector was triggered twice. It seems that | > the | > | detectors *will* detect movement, but only *once* in the 4-minute period | > | between "check-in" signals. | > | | > | Any ideas anyone? | > | | > | Cheers, | > | | > | John. | | I have to admit to being very much a novice and a newbie when it comes to | security alarms but surely Crash, that can't be right, can it? If the | wireless PIR only sends an alarm signal to the control unit every few | minutes and not every time it senses motion, a burglar could be in and out | between signals - or worse, in, out of range of PIR when it decides to send | it's next signal, and out 20 minutes later in another "space" between | signals??? | | John. | |
Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Powremax + which in my humble opinion is a far better system, does exactly the same. When it is armed the sensors don't sleep. It also cuts out the robbing monitor firms.

Kind Regards.

Micky

Leeds U.K

Reply to
Micky Savage

Point taken, but it's hardly a life safety device. We already have hard-wired, mains-operated, battery-backup, interlinked smoke alarms in the house and have had for a number of years. This is just a burglar alarm that will activate an external siren if anyone breaks in.

I know that the "Infinite" system is capable of a lot more but here in the UK and in the area that we live, we won't be bothering with Central Station monitoring or anything like that. It's purely a deterrent - hopefully any burglars won't want the hassle of breaking in here with an alarm and move on to somewhere where there isn't an alarm.

John.

Reply to
John

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.