Lazy Hawkeyes ? A new way to increase Infrared detector sensibility and range

I'm currently trying to promote energy saving in my home.

Principle stay simple, each time a light is switched on, a X10 command is triggered starting (or reseting) a timer.

If in the lighted up room, motion is detected by a standard X10 motion detector (hawkeyes and so on .. MS13, MS14, MS16), the timer is reseted to the starting value.

When 15 minutes are elapsed (without motion), main light is dimmed at half power (or switched off, a backup light (fluorescent bulb) being lighted up) to avoid "blackout" effect and therefore blast the WAF factor (Woman Acceptance Factor).

At 20 minutes (without motion), all the room lights are switched off.

Seems obvious, but main problematic stay the reliability of Motion detector. First, with 16 installed in a house of 4 people, amount of transmitted information is too high for the X10 PLC brandwith (each motion sensor could trigger a command each 4 seconds). To solve this issue I used the principle of the MR26 (receive Motion RF signal, interpret it without sending it on the PLC).

The second problem was the Motion detector sensibility (especially when people are seated in from of the TV without making any movements).

Sure, it's always possible to interface a "professional" detector providing dual detection (IR and micro waves). But stay always the problem of wiring.

To address this issue, I discovered a PIR replacement part which is electonically compatible with the original one (you can substitute it straightforward without any additional modification) and offers a higher sensibility (4 quadrans in place of 2, giving the ability to detect people approaching in the axe of the detector (original one, detect mainly prople crossing the axe).

The reference is RE46B.

Doesn't seems to be highly referenced on the web, found only following "explaning" URL

formatting link
I also tried the RE200B as replacement without valuable improvement (but it's also a plug to plug replacement).

Hope it helps

Thierry

Reply to
Thierry Parent
Loading thread data ...

This is a great idea. The 2 tuner DirecTV Tivo units do something similar to this. They watch the inbound remote signals and use that as a guide for warning before switching channels. That way if you tune to a program and are watching it live the system won't just switch away from it without giving you a warning first.

I may do something similar with my office computer and use it's IM idle status in conjunction with other room sensing.

Heh, be sure to let us all know what complaints it generates.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Hi Thierry

I'm currently trying to promote energy saving in my home.

I tried to do something like this with my CBUS lighting...I had most switches programmed to turn lights off after a few hours....The whole family complained and i had to reprogram them to stay on and of course the lights were left on all night...

I have security pir sensors which can trigger the lights outside of normal hours...ie early morning and late night...but they also not sensitve enough ....

I came across a small pir head similiar to the one you use and i made up a little box with a microprocessor which i call a vacancy sensor.....This connects to my cat5 based probe system which monitors my tv ,vcr dvd ,etc status as a probe..

Everytime theVacancy Sensor pir head detects movement it triggers/retriggers a 5 minute timer and turns on the probe output....

My HA Controller Homevision polls the vacancy probe every 5 minutes and if it reads 3 consecutive off states it sends a command out to the lighting system to ramp off the lights.......

Also since i has spare i/o on the vacancy sensor i have added an ir input ...

So if someone is stilling still but are watching tv and they use their remote control ,the ir receivers picks up the signal and also riggers/Retriggers the vacancy timer......

When the lights are ramping off if someone uses the remote or the pir head detects movement the lights will ramp back up ,but only when the ramp off is complete...........

Im currently testing the Vacancy detector in my lounge room so far so good ..

Frank

Reply to
Frank Mc Alinden

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.