Engineering/Quality Control/Stuff

On 4/2/2021 10:50 AM, RTS wrote: > On 4/2/2021 7:40 AM, ABLE1 wrote: >> On 4/1/2021 7:50 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: >>> I installed the very first commercial installation for Dish Network (in an Applebee's restaurant). I was a sub for a Muzak dealer at the time. I had plenty of mini dish experience and I kept tell them they need an LNB for each receiver. I'd installed plenty of other system, and I even wrote my own installation manual for Primestar for my guys. They swore up and down that the receivers were setup so that I didn't. Finally I got a call from a tech who called Dish Network who got through to an engineer who swore the receivers were setup with a Zillman switch and we could just daisy chain them. The story I heard is the engineer walked out in the warehouse and grabbed a receiver off the shelf to discover for the first time that they didn't build them the way he designed them. >>>

>> You would think that when I installed an LNB for each receiver and all the receivers showed good signal strength that would have been the end of it. Great signal strength but no programming. Turns out management and accounting had made deals for commercial programming, and setup a sales structure, but nobody in the software department had written a module to activate commercial accounts. >>> >>> I went over there 2-5 times a day for over two weeks checking to see if it was activated yet. I billed them for how ever long it took me to get there, walk in, and call them back to say, "Nope." When they got my final bill they threw a temper tantrum and tried to get me to write all off as part of the original install. I reminded them that I did everything perfectly the first time, and all the problems were at their end and mostly because they wouldn't hear what I was saying. That was the last job I did for them. >>> >>> Its not always the engineer's fault. Both technical problems on this one were caused by the bean counters. >> >> True, but some Quality Control Inspections would have help a bit!! >> > > HaHa had a Chinese company once tell me that they just make > "hundreds" extra, just so they don't need any Q.C., they just > replace any that fail for free.. > > Guess that's why there was that computer/electronics snafu > several years ago with all those BAD capacitors.. > > RTS

I guess I should have started a new thread. My bad!!

I changed the Subject Line. It seems we have changed course......again!

LOL To many old memories!!

I had a new box of 10 ea Sentrol Smoke Detectors a number of years back for a new job. Once the install was complete and it came time for power up, the smokes went into alarm. Upon investigating I found that the sensing chambers were all dirty. Dirty out of a NEW sealed box!!!

Contacted local sales rep who said; just return for credit and get new.

He was totally not understanding the WASTED TIME spent. No reason why this could have happened or any serious apology. I now use another mfg.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

New thread. My bad, but being an ex communications tech sometimes all I can add to a thread is memories and tangents.

I don't think I ever installed an Ademco panel not counting that FBII HC41 abomination. Atleast it still programmed like an FBII. I hated the way Ademco panels programmed. I did service a few of them, and when a contractor I "used to" do all the alarms for had a problem with their new company's installs who did install Ademco they always called me to trouble shoot it. LOL. I'm not kidding. I billed them a few thousand a year in troubleshooting until I retired from contracting, and they were still calling me the last month I was still in the business.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

WOW someone else installed one of those I thought I was the only one and agree on it's "quality"

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.